What's new

Onkyo 898 and DTS ?????? (1 Viewer)

Steve_W

Agent
I have read that some people have had problems with the Dolby Digital track on Pearl Harbor. I just got my 898 and have been trying to play the DTS track on Saving Private Ryan.

No matter what I try, there is NO SOUND on Saving Private Ryan in DTS mode. It is the same thing with Twister, a DTS disc, I cant get it to play in DTS mode. And lastly, Pearl Harbor does not work in DTS mode, and in Dolby Digital 5.1 I am getting audio dropouts.

What is the problem with this reciever? Is it possible I have it setup wrong for DTS?? And what about the DD 5.1 dropouts in Pearl Harbor..any solutions??

Thanks,

Steve

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

Is DTS out enabled in your DVD players setup? Also I'm assuming your DVD player is capable of outputting DTS (most likely it is but the early ones couldn't.)

Shawn

Steve_W

Agent
Shawn,

Yes DTS is enabled as far as I can tell. I go into the Setup menu, select the optical input that my DVD is attached to (OPT1) , and put the setting to either All or even DTS, and despite that I get no DTS audio output.

It seems like I have tried all combinations of settings possible and still get no DTS output on any DTS discs.

Anyone with specific knowledge of the 898 please help!

Thanks,

Steve

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Steve-

No...go into the setup menu of your -DVD- player. There should be an option to enable DTS output. Unless your DVD player is outputing a DTS stream, it doesn't matter what inputs you assign your 898 to use. My Pioneer 525 defaulted to having it turned off, and I got no sound in DTS mode, but Dolby Digital worked fine.

Hope this helps!

-Seth

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, you need to go into the setup menu for your DVD player. There should be an option for DTS output. It may be set to off or PCM. You need to select DTS ON or Bistream.

The factory default for most DVD players is for the DTS to be off, so that you won't accidently damage your receiver/speakers with a loud digital noise burst, if you have a receiver that doesn't decode DTS.

Steve_W

Agent
Thanks alot guys for your replies I will check my DVD player for the DTS output...

Looking forward to Pearl Harbor tonight in some DTS can't wait!!

Steve

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Steve
Go to the set up portion on the
DVD disc then audio options click on
the red DTS in the upper left hand
corner and DTS will come out loud and
clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks