What's new

Onkyo 876 vs Denon 3808 - Component Video Only (1 Viewer)

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I am really struggling on my decision between these two receivers and have been doing a lot of research. I just read an old post somewhere else that said that the 876 will not accept a 1080p component video input, or at least it will downconvert it to 1080i. This is a big deal for me since I have an older RPTV with only component input and I believe all 3 of my current sources feeding it are transmitting 1080p (BD/HDDVD player, HD Sat, and XBOX 360). The TV still looks great and I still like it's picture over all of the LCD displays I've seen, so no plans to replace it yet. If there is a way on either of these to just pass the signal through without changing it and only act as a switcher, that is great.

Does anyone know for sure if either of these receivers can or cannot pass a 1080p signal. I want the new sound formats, but I don't want to downgrade my display to get them, and I don't have that many HD component inputs on my TV and don't want to have to buy hundreds worth of longer component cables either.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
It's rather irrelevant, no? If your TV is 1080i CRT, it will not accept 1080p component, and all your sources are for sure only sending 1080i. Sources only send 1080p over HDMI, with few exceptions. Xbox can do it over VGA also.

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Well, nice to feel like a total newb all over again. It's been so long since I bought my TV, or upgraded that I never realized my TV wasn't 1080p. Heck, it says 1080 right on the front. When I bought it, I never even thought I would be using HD to begin with, but it's still a great set and still looks as good as when Greg came along with the "Furry Pig" to ISF it all those years ago...

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, some devices, like the XBOX 360 can pass 1080p through component, but my RPTV is only up to 1080i. I did find specific mention in the 3808 that it will pass 1080p through from component to component as long as processing for the input is off. The 867 paperwork says it will only pass 1080i, so I'm not sure what would happen to the 1080p signal coming in on component on an 876, but it is irrelevant for me at this point.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
You have a BD/HDDVD player that can pass 1080p over component? If so, then I assume it allows it only on unprotected (i.e., non-DRM) material...although I don't know of many that can actually do so (pass 1080p over component, let alone allow it on protected material).

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
No, I was wrong about everything except for the XBOX 360. I haven't verified the 360 since it really doesn't matter to me at this point, but I read somewhere that one of the upgrades after the HDDVD player came out allowed 1080p over the component cables. That may be wrong too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks