What's new

Onkyo 797 - Two speakers on one terminal? (1 Viewer)

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I was just wondering if it would be possible to connect two speakers on one rear-back terminal (as the onkyo only has a single rear center)
Would it just divide the power and the ohmage between the speakers?

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You don't want to do this! It would basically divide the wattage, but the impedance would fall WAY below what the receiver is capable of handling.
Granted, running at low levels, you may never have a problem with it, but there's a good chance you would. It's extremely easy to overload a receiver adding speakers that aren't allowed for.
If you're just wanting to have 2 rear center channels, that's easy enough to do by wiring the spekaers in series. What you'll need to do is come off of the receiver from the positive terminal and run that single wire to the positive terminal of the closest speaker. The run a wire from the negative terminal of that first speaker to the positive terminal of the second speaker. The run a wire from the negative terminal of the second speaker back to the netagive terminal of the receiver. This will correctly divide the power and actually raise the impedance instead of lowering it. You can safely run 2 speakers off of one terminal that way.
The sound you get may not be quite up to your liking though. Sometimes this diminshes the sound to an extent. But for an EX channel, it'd probably be fine. Give it a try and see what you think.

Willem Vos

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike,
I don't have the 797 myself, but I was thinking of getting one. I do have 7 speakers though, and naturally I want to use them all.
The 898 has 7 channel amplification, but it's a big step up costwise from the 797... - I'm guessing that most of that cost is in the remote :)
[Edited last by Willem Vos on November 07, 2001 at 08:26 AM]

Gerard Martin

Second Unit
Onkyo suggests for the 787 an
additional 2 channel amp be used
to achieve 7.1
------------------
Jerry

Zane Johnson

Agent
wiring in parallel halfs the total impedance, hence doubling the power output of the amplifier..
series adds the two impedances together.....hence lessening the power output..
amplifier output is based on electrical resistance...
the lower the resistance the more power that is gonna flow through the circuit...
say the amp puts out 100 watts @ 8 ohms..
drop two 8 ohm speakers in parallel and the amp is now putting out 200 watts.... 100 watts to each 8ohm (4ohm total) resistance.....there are two, so it's doing 200 watts total..
but..drop two 8 ohm speakers in parallel and you get a 16ohm total impedance... the amp puts out 50 watts total.. 25 to each speaker.....this is much safer...
series wiring...
amplifier channel on reciever
+ -
|
|
|
+ --- + - back to amp negative terminal
speaker 1 speaker 2
parallel wiring...
amplifier channel..
+ -
| |
| |
+ - speaker 1
| |
| |
| |
| |
+ - spaker 2
[Edited last by Zane Johnson on November 08, 2001 at 12:06 AM]
[Edited last by Zane Johnson on November 08, 2001 at 12:08 AM]

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
drop two 8 ohm speakers in parallel and the amp is now putting out 200 watts.... 100 watts to each 8ohm (4ohm total) resistance.....there are two, so it's doing 200 watts total..

Meaning in the crudest of ways, the amp puts out 2x as much current as it planed and probably breaks something internaly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks