Onkyo 797 ticking problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Barrett, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

I did a search on this but didn’t find any previous threads.

Anyone have a 797 with the dreaded ticking problem?

The problem occurs in any mode except “direct”. I hear ticking noise out of the front right speaker that varies with volume.

I understand this is a known problem with the 797 I just wonder how many Onkyo owners here have had it occur.

Matt Barrett

2. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

My 797 has no problems with ticking either, I think you may have gotten a rotten apple in the bag[​IMG]

3. Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler Stunt Coordinator

There is a thread about it on the Home Theater Spot forum. I just got a 797 myself but haven't encountered it.

--Randy S.

4. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

I "borrowed" the 797 from circuit city for a couple of weeks and didnt encounter any ticking problems whatsoever,.

5. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

No ticking out of mine either. I would definately try to exchange it if possible.

6. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

Yes, I was participating in the thread about the ticking in the Home Theater Spot forum, I was just thinking since this may be a larger venue, if more people were affected.

It seems to happen after 2 or 3 months of service. My unit is going back to Onkyo tomorrow.

Matt

7. Dan Monroe

Dan Monroe Auditioning

I feel your pain... I got mine Mid November. Worked great until a few day's ago when it started ticking. I must have the "inverse" tic. The tic is on the left front channel and tics in the direct and surround modes but not in the DSP modes. Mine is getting picked up this morning for repairs. At least Onkyo is paying for the shipping but the inconvenience of not having it for a couple of weeks while it goes back to NJ is a pain!

8. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Oh, no. [​IMG]
    A very bad fear of mine has been realized.
    Since early last month, I, myself, also, have been suffering through the indignation of hearing loud, audible ticking sounds coming from various speakers of mine at certain times.
    While there is no problem at all from the direct and stereo modes, nor anything Dolby Digital or DTS, for that matter, I do, however, find the ticking evident in the following areas:
    Upsampling digital audio--right surround speaker(s) whenever in general matrixied surround mode for Dolby Pro Logic II. The ticking dispappears, however, once I move off of upsampling...only to appear albeit silently on my center channel speaker.
    DTS Neo:6--left back surround channel.
    THX Surround EX--left back surround channel as well.
    DSP modes--it varies from speaker to speaker, with my sub being impaired with flutter with interference.
    I sure hope it does not come down to my having to take the 797 in for repairs, but it seems as if I may be confronted with that likely possibility. [​IMG]

9. Matt Barrett

Matt Barrett Extra

Tina_H_V
    Onkyo does know about this problem, it seems to be affecting more people every day [​IMG]
    Give them a call and they will arrange to fix your unit.

10. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I'm a concerned 797 owner, I bought my unit in late December. At what volume levels does this tick occur? I was/am watching the Olympic Open Ceremony and it is coming out of jsut a regular cable, but there seems to be a ticking(not sure if it is the one you are all experiencing) that is occurring only when the volume is pushed past 55, it sounds more like a fuzzy noise, I'm not sure if it is jsut the cable signal, or if it the receiver, will need to do more testing on this, but I REALLY don't want to have to send it in for repair. Also, you allsay that you are sending it back to Onkyo, does it have to be sent back to Onkyo, or can I have my local service center fix the problem? All of you who are getting this problem, at what volume level is it occurring?

11. Dan Monroe

Dan Monroe Auditioning

Kyle_Y,
    The tick on my receiver was there at all volume levels, it just became more noticable the higher you turned the volume. It was a very sharp distinct tic - almost like morse code being tapped out. I'm not sure if you can get it fixed locally. Onkyo service made it sound like it only takes a few minutes because they just do a board swap. Most of the delay will be in the shipping (UPS Ground[​IMG] ). One person I talked to made it sound like they sometimes send out a new replacement unit but that didn't happen for me.

12. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Thanks a lot, Matt. I am going to give them a call right now at this time. [​IMG]
    And, oh, no, not you too, Kyle???!!!!! [​IMG]

13. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Well, it doesn't sound like morse code, it could have jsut been my cable input, but I will certainly keep my ears open, since my unit will be getting into the three month old stage very shortly. I will also see if I can contact my dealer and ask him if he knows anything of the problem, although I doubt he would.