Onkyo 797 test tones or VE for calibration?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John E F, Dec 14, 2001.

1. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I have recently purchased an Onkyo 797 and need to do a final calibration with the SPL meter so I can leave it alone and start enjoying it. It is very important to me to do this correctly or I will obsessed with the settings for ever. I have used both the receiver's internal test tones as well as Video Essentials with different results. I am wondering which should be more accurate? Also, do you think the THX certification makes the internal tones any more accurate? When I use them, the receiver defaults to the 0 dB volume level, this is where would set it manually for the VE adjustment. The reason for this is that I know excatly where the volume level is to keep it safe. For example, -15 on the volume dial equals 15db less than the 75dB reference level. Please help me, my wife is starting to think I may need to "go away for a while" if you know what I mean [​IMG]

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I don't know about the 797, but the internal tones for the subwoofer on the 595 and 696 are 10db too low... I would say use VE for the final calibration, since that will take the signal path into account.

And don't count on the tweaking ever ending... That's part of the fun!

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I would say: try both, and see what you like better for movies and for music. I would also *heavily* suggest Avia.

When I use the internal tones on my Sony TA-E9000ES, and then fine tune with Avia, things don't change that much.

Avia allows you to get the phase right between your speakers and sub too, and I don't think you can do that with VE.

(I have both, but haven't used VE in a while...)