Onkyo 797 setup question - Upsampling

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Stegner, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Scott Stegner

Two days of playing and I am very happy with my new receiver. Tonight, I went through the setup & configuration settings in more detail. There is one setting in the Audio adjustment menu for turning "upsampling" on or off. The default was off and I was wondering what anyone knows about this. From reading the description in the manual, I would think that this should be enabled.
    Manual explanation " Upsampling - Upsampling processes the input digital signal, or the digital signal converted from a analog input source, and converts its digital sampling frequency to twice its current frequency for an even further detailed sound reproduction."
    I know these receivers have 192KH, 24 bit DACs, but does this setup have to be enabled to get the full potential of them?
    Anyone understand this feature?

2. Scott Stegner

Bump - anyone? Help with upsampling. Thx

3. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Yes Scott, I believe that when using upsampling, you utalize the capabilities of the 797's 192khz/24 bit processors. I have my upsampling set to on, the manual says it makes things sound better, so I'll do anything that is going to make the sound sound better[​IMG]

4. Scott Stegner

OK, just strange that it is defaulted to off and why they even give you this option rather than just run a full conversion all the time. I asked the question to Onkyo also, I will post if I receive any useful information.