What's new

Onkyo 797 owners, is your receiver getting HOT? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought my 797 and I really love it. It is at the top of my rack, so it has infinite cooling space, and I noticed the fan on the inside left. The middle of my 797 gets very hot. So far, I have not seen the fan ever working, even at high volumes, and at high temprature. Is my 797 suppossed to be running this hot, or is my fan possibly defective?

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone? I am getting rather concerned, and I am thinking of possibly returning it, just incase I got a rotten apple. I just want to know if it is normal for the 797 to be on the warm/hot side?

Chip E

Screenwriter
Why don't you call your dealer before you do something as rash as taking it back. Alot of receivers get hot including my B&K 307. Nothing to worry about. Have you ever felt a Sony receiver after its been on for a while? You can fry a freak'n egg on 'em! They get so hot.. and it ain't a problem. ;)

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Not sure about the fan in the 797, but I can tell you about the fan in the Integra DTR-7. The fan will only turn on at very high volumes.
Set your reciever to something wtih no source of sound and start to turn the volume all the way up. Watch the fan, at some point is should turn on. Slowly at first and then speed up as you continue to increase the volume.
Again, do this without anything playing to your speakers, or wear some ear plugs! :D
How hot does it get? Mine gets hot but not hot enough to burn my hand sitting on top of it. I have had it for about 2-years with no problems.
If it still concerns you, go back to the dealer and demo his and see if there is much of a difference.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I tried it, and it did not turn on. I cranked the volume to the max, with no sound of course, and it did not turn on, so I guess this means it only runs on when a certain output is reached, or mine is a dud:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks