Onkyo 797 Front Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie_S, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Eddie_S

Eddie_S Auditioning

I own an excellent Onkyo TX-DS 797 (a 6.1, 6*100W) which I enjoy very much, no clicking or dropouts so far..

I am looking to get new front L/R speakers for this receiver. I'd like speakers that provide excellent highs and midrange detailing and that doesn't require a lot of power to play loud. I listen to music 60-70% of the time and the rest is for Movies with this receiver. I'd prefer large speakers as I think they are better than small ones. I am looking at possibly Boston, Klipsh, Infinity or Polk Audio. My budget is $500-1000. (for the L/R and center if it has to match).

Do I need to match Center speaker to the Front L/R? How about the surrounds? I have a Velodine sub, a CT-100 and it's fine for my needs so far.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Eddie,

I have an Onkyo TX DS 797. I have Klipsch RF-7' as my mains as well as an RC-7 for the center. While this is over your stated budget I think you will be very pleased with the RF-3 and RC-3 setup that can be had in your stated budget. I had that setup in the past and was very pleased but with all this stuff eventually you want more, no matter what you have it seems.

You may want to audition though as some folks here do not like the Klipsch sound, obviously I do.

Good luck

3. Eddie_S

Eddie_S Auditioning

Thanks a lot Phil. [​IMG] I always felt that Klipsch speakers do sound very good.
    How about PolK Audio R30's or R50's for the front. I read in some reviews that they provide excellent highs and mid-range detailing. I heard a demonestration of the R30's at CC and they did sound good but wasn't sure if they'd require a lot of power to play loud. Anyone has experience with these speakers?