What's new

Onkyo 797. Can you control the bass from the remote control? (1 Viewer)

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Yes I believe you can. I own the 898 and I know I can. You go in the Audio setup menu and choose Tone Control. This will take you to Bass and Treble.
However, I think the Bass/Treble and other adjustments are constant for all input settings, i.e. CD/DVD/VCR1, etc. Also the channel settings are the same for all inputs and surround formats. i.e. you may be watching a movie in DD and now go to CD and select All channel stereo, the settings from DD are carried over to All channel stereo. I am throwing this out because I would like to be corrected if I am wrong.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info.
How hard is it to get into the Bass and Treble adjustments? You don't need the ON-SCREEN display (OSD), do you? The easier the better. I don't care if I have to adjust it for each use, as program material (CD's and movies) varies for each source anyways, so a little tweaking on the fly is what I like.
On the remote for the Marantz SR 6200 there is a Bass and Treble control right out front. I don't think I am too keen on the affect that the 6200's bass control has. I don't know the center frequency, so that might be an issue. Also, adjusting the subwoofer level requires going into the OSD and that sucks. The readily available BASS control right out front on the remote is a good compromise though.
I don't know if you've noticed, but the center frequency for the BASS control on the 797 and the 898 is 50 hz. This is important to me. I have an older Technics amp and it also uses a center frequency of 50 hz. Some amps and receivers use 100 hz and I much prefer 50 hz. I know people like to listen to music without changing it, but I enjoy hearing bass and....
1) Not all recordings are done equally;
2) I really love bass, and like to boost it a bit;
3) I don't always listen to music at loud volumes and when the volume is lower, often the bass is TOO LOW. I often listen to music at lower levels and I like to increase the bass.
Get my drift??
So do you need to go into the OSD and look at your TV to adjust the bass??
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 10, 2001 at 11:41 AM]

NickSP

Supporting Actor
No, you need not go into the OSD for Tone adjustments. The receiver's front panel is equally capable.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Sweet :)
Thanks. I might be migrating over to an Onkyo TX-DS 797 if my SR 6200 isn't fixed properly.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Nick,
I own the Onkyo 898 and I am not having the problem you describe where my audio selection (stereo for example) is carried over from one source to the next. I am able to set my DVD to one thing, my CD to another, etc. It automatically remembers the last setting per source but I find that to be a good thing. I believe I can even give each source a default audio setting so that it doesn't go back to the previous setting.
Thanks,
Jeff

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey, maybe I was not being clear on my issue. You are right, the sound format settings do get stored in the 898s memory. I was wonering if the individual channel settings can be stored in memory. i.e., if I set the Left channel at 10db and the right at 10 db for stereo and for DD/DTS, I set the Left at 5db and Right at 5 db, would it remember that? Also, the Bass and Treble for each input is not carried over like it was in the Denon 3801/3802. Any help?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
So when you adjust the bass for one input, it will not be the same for the other inputs?
It sounds like a bit of work to adjust the bass. I understand now that you don't need to go into the OSD, but exactly how many keystrokes am I away from adjusting the bass while listening to my fave CD?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
NickSP,
I do not have the 797 or 898 but I can tell you how my
DS787 works, pertaining to the individual volume slopes
of the perspective channels.
When you set the +/- Slope on the L/R/C/LS/RS/BS channels
they are stored in memory and appied to every DSP and decoder
format. You can not set them up for each decoder and or DSP.
EG: Set all channels to "0" and they will stay at "0" in all
fields: Dolby-Digital,DPL,THX-EX,DTS,Orchestra,StudioMix,Direct,
Mono TV Etc.
As for the Tone Adjustments, they are also carried over and
applied to all sound fields.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,
Lets see if I can remember how many key strokes you are
away..
#1: Hit OSD Button on Remote
#2: Select Input Settings
#3: Select Tone Control
#4: Hit + or - to adjust +12 or -12Db
#5: Exit OSD Menu
Of course there are some more key strokes involved
when you have to go through the main OSD Menu to select
Input Settings, and then there are like 8 Key Strokes in
each direction to adjust the Bass or Trebble.
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

NickSP

Supporting Actor
Brett,
Thanks for the info. The Denon 3801 let you set individual channel settings for different sound fields. For example, my DD/DTS setting was based on the "Master" seting. However, for 5 CH Stereo, I could change the individual channel settings and it would memorize it. So was the case for Bass/Treble.
Anyway, thanks for the info again. Looks like the 898 makes you work slightly harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks