What's new

Onkyo 797 - Any reviews ??? (1 Viewer)

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Is this receiver out? I've seen it advertised in Crutchfield, but haven't been able to find it on Onkyo's website. Does anyone have it yet? If so, how is it? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris's
There isn't much diffrent between the DS787 and the DS797
other than the addition of DPLII and DTS-ES Discreet and
Neo-7 (and another channel of power and a firmware upgrade
port) other than that the reviews should be about the same
I don't beleive anything else has changed..
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Fellas
Yes, I know. I am just as interested in knowing how this one is indeed turning out.
From what I have learned from the source themselves, the Onkyo 797 is due to begin to ship out by month's end, with full market saturation due by mid-November. Once the latter occurs, they will then add the 797 to the Onkyo USA website.
We'll see--and, in my case, hope so: for this is the receiver I am planning on investing in to be THE processor in my home theater.
And if it is the 787 revisited with DPL II, DTS-ES discrete and DTS: Neo 6 added to the mix, that's fine by moi. I can live with that!!!!! :)
------------------
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

Robert McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
It is available now. You can call Jason at onecall.com for a good price. There are reviews of the 787, but I haven't seen any for te 797.
You can get some information from the european site,
------------------
onkyo.net
The specs in the US instruction manual:
100 watts/channel rms at 8 ohms, 2 channels driven 20 hz to 20khz,

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I own the TX-DS797, and love it. I've had it for about a month now. Got it from onecall. I chose the Onkyo over the Denon 3802, and the 797 ended my 2 year search for a receiver that would satisfy me.
I think they may have changed the layout of the boards/components inside the 797 compared to the 787. And the 797 and 898 are similar (back panel layout is the same, except the 898 has a few extras).
Also, they designed the 797/898 so they don't need a fan. The 787 had one.
I have a 5 speaker + sub setup, and don't plan on making use of the center rear channel for DTS-ES or Surround EX in the near future. Though, if I do want to make use of this feature in the future, then I sort of wish I had 7 channels of power like the 898 or Denon 3802. It's better to have 2 rears than 1, for many reasons.
However, I could probably pick up a little 2 channel amp for $200 to use for the Onkyo 797's rear channel. And that would still be cheaper than if I had bought the 898 originally. So I'm happy with my decision to purchase the 797.
Go buy one! you won't be disappointed!

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
It's now November, and they've added the 797 to the US site:
Onkyo US
Most every place online that I've seen for the last month has listed the 797, but it's been out of stock.
I have a Pioneer VSX-906S that I got because a friend got it and raved all about it. I haven't had any complaints about it, until now. Seems the volume knob sticks now in the same place when adjusting VIA remote. I think it's from 3 years of apartment living and having the volume always in the same (too) quiet range. Probably just needs to be cleaned.
Anyway, this same friend recently went with a 787, and apparently absolutely loves it. I have yet to hear it, however. I have yet to find any decent place in the area to get a demo, so I'm going to upgrade based on my friend's ravings. Actually, I did find a 787 at Circuit City, but it was set up on a floor display...no surrounds or anything.
So, I'm going to make a leap of faith and assume that since Onkyo has fairly high end stuff, that the 797 will be as good as the 787.
-Seth
------------------
My Home Theatre

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I touched one...I actually touched one! (as if it were something like The Grail)
Circuit City finally got some in. Well, at least one. With at retail price of $999, I'm thinking maybe it would be best to go online like Paul.
Speaking of Paul, I have a question that the CC store manager gave me a "no" on. Can you verify the (non)existance of some kind of "midnight" mode for apartment dwelling people? Currently I'm turning the volume up and down when watching movies due to the fact that the old guy downstairs doesn't care for the bass coming through the floor. Pioneer came out with something called "midnight mode" to supposedly balance everything out at low volume levels so it still sounded decent. Have you come across something like that?
-Seth
------------------
My Home Theatre

AllanW

Grip
Brett DiMichele mentioned that a firmware upgrade port was added. I looked everywhere on Onkyo's website, and nowhere does it say the 797 has an upgrade port.

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
I want one, what kind of price can I expect from online vendors? Who is authorized onkyo dealer & has great prices?
Oade? OneCall?
I called onecall on kenwood and they wont give a deal unless I find an authroized dealer w/ a deal. Same w/ onkyo?
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Allan - There's no upgrade port on the TX-DS797.
Here's a LARGE picture of the back in all it's glory:
Onkyo TX-DS797 Back
There's also no extra channel of power added over the 787...that make it a 7.1 channel receiver, which is what you have to go to the 898 for. The 797 is an upgrade to the 787, that basically adds DPLII, 192Khz DACs, and a few other minor (IMO) changes.
Evan - In all my online "window shopping", I've seen prices from $850-$1000, so it should be in that price range. The only thing that really concerns me is if they're authorized or not, as it'd be really nice to have the 2 year warranty to fall back on. You might try Onecall as I've seen them mentioned several times on HTF before as being purchased from. I also came across a full page add in Home Theater Mag for them, which takes some bucks. I'm guessing they're reputeable. I don't know anything about "deals" though. The have it listed as in stock for $999 though. At that price, might as well go to a local B&M to get it without waiting. Not all deals are deals online...how much for shipping? What if you have a problem and need warranty service (it happens)? And you have to WAIT...which would be the hardest part for me...hehe
-Seth
------------------
My Home Theatre

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Sorry about the mis-info I thought the 797 added the port
and more channels of power but I see that's the 898 only.
Glad I got the 787 :) and for $735.00 it was a steal, even
though since the 797 hit I could probably get a 787 now for
$630.00 ish.. Ohh well :)
I still wish I would have waited and bought the 989 simply
because of the port and all the other features that the flag
ship offers but I must say the 787 is one hell of a beast and
the 797 has to be equaly as impressive!
As far as "Late Night" features.. I don't know what the 797
has but the 787 has "Late Nite" mode when watching DD/DTS DVD
movies (It only works on those formats, not analog or PCM)
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Actually, Late Night Mode, or Midnight Mode, is a Dolby Digital function only. It does work really well and has two settings on my 696 (Low and High). It trims the bass quite a bit and works similarly to THX's Re Eq on the high frequency side of things. It's not perfect, but much better than the alternatives..
Good luck with your 797. I haven't heard any bad-mouthing about it yet. I have a 696 and it has been a great reciever. Onkyo has me hooked : ) Let us know how it goes!
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
OneCall.com is definitely a reputable dealer. If you become a member of the Home Theater Spot, and mention you're a member when you contact "Jason" at OneCall you'll get a special "Group Buy" price.
I'm not sure what the current "group buy" price is, and even if I knew I'd have to keep the price private (part of the Group Buy agreement is that you don't mention the price to others).
OneCall did have a 15% off promotion on the Onkyo receivers back in Sept (or Oct?), and the 797 was $849 at that time. Their return policy is not to accept merchandise for return except in factory sealed, unopened cartons, unless the merchandise is defective
AbtElectronics.com will also discount a little from list if you call them. They list full retail prices at their website. FREE SHIPPING, and a great return/exchange policy......
Total Satisfaction Guaranteed
You can return an item for any reason within the first 60 days. We'll gladly exchange it or give you a refund for the full amount of the merchandise — whichever you prefer. There are no re-stocking fees at AbtElectronics.com. All returned or exchanged items must be in their original box and include packing material, manuals and all accessories.
Return Shipping
If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, AbtElectronics.com will cover the cost to exchange within 60 days (from the shipping date).
[Edited last by Paul_Psutka on November 04, 2001 at 10:50 AM]

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
K what is "Home Theater Spot" where do I learn more.
Found this site: http://www.onkyousa.com/web_dealers.cfm
Any one know how NIRAV CORPORATION (bestpriceaudio.com) is? They are licenced so that is good.
Looked round the web, unauthorized seems to be around $800. Could someone please tell me how Onkyo's are for reliability, I have had my Sony for 8 years and love it. Never has needed anything. Do recievers today last for less time / are less reliable?
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
alright, alright, is it
"onk-yo"
or
"on-koy"
I heard the latter the other day and almost broke out laughing as this isn't how it's spelled. I hope I'm right in thinking that it's "onk-yo"!! :)
------------------
McPaul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks