Onkyo 787 good/bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben Jordan, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    What do you guys think of this unit? Comparing the on-line PDF manuals, it seems to have a lot that the 797 has, except DPLII, Neo6, 192kHz DACs, and s-videocomposite conversion. Am I missing anything else? Anyone have the 787 and have comments?

Will be driving Axiom M50 mains, and eventually a full Axiom 6.1 setup all around (cheap JVC surrounds for now).

thanks!

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I personally like the mid-high Onkyo gear. I guess the crux of the question is what are you paying for it? For me, if I can get a great price on a quality piece, I'm already half-sold. But you need to do a comparison with what's available now for similar money.

3. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

If memory serves me correctly, the 787 will not decode DTS-ES discrete. Other than that, it is a very nice piece.

4. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum Ben, I'm not sure what your budget is but if your interested in doing 6.1 and want the lastest in features you might want to consider the Denon 3802. It is being sold at an incredible price of $699 shipped from 6ave.com. You need to call to get the price of $699. It is a very popular receiver here on this forum.

But like Paul said, it depends on what price you can get the 787 for. Being a 2yr old model I am sure you can get a good price. You might want to do a search on Onkyo 787 and find some reviews on it here. As a recall, I remember reading there some issues with it but can't remember what.

5. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

The 787 is still a great receiver. Many would argue that the 787 amps are superior to its predecessor, the 797. You also get the remote that comes with the 989-the one with the samll LCD at the top.

6. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Ben
    I found the 787 a good receiver lacking only in the number of digital inputs, others particularly professional reviews found it about average see
    www.ecoustics.com home theater, receivers,2001, you can also go to
    www.audioreview.com for owner comments.

7. Ben Jordan

Ben Jordan Stunt Coordinator

Ben
    Thanks everyone for your comments.
    Ecoustics says "recommended" and audioreview has a 4.41 out of 5 rating, out of 157 reviews. I have previously read through each and every review there, and it sounds like it will be great for me.
    I only have one digial input I need right now, so that will leave me with extras! [​IMG]
    Ben