What's new

Onkyo 770 Speaker Problem... (1 Viewer)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Just got this HTiB and hooked it up. All speakers work except the front left and the surround left. Both have no sound. I tried adjusting the sound using the little tone that comes out of the speakers. On the front left, I hear a muffled tone/noise. Oddly enough, when I click over to the surround left, NO sound comes out of that speaker, and instead, the surround left sound STILL comes out of the front left. And it's STILL muffled.

I don't have the connections wrong, so I don't understand what this could be. Anyone experience this? Any ideas on what I can try to remedy the situation? Thanks!

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Clean the wax out of your left ear! (just kidding)

Without considering the test tones, what you described could happen if the receiver is in All Channel Stereo Mode AND your input source's Left channel was not connected properly. That's fairly contrived- I know.

Considering the test tones, I wonder if somehow you got stuck in stereo or direct mode which might output sound only to the front left and right speakers. Being in stereo mode might explain why all Left channel signals go to the front left, although I would think the receiver would be smart enough to know that in test tone mode it should override the stereo setting!? Each channel also has an individual volume adjustment, and you may have accidentally lowered the volume significantly on the effected channels. If on the front of the receiver it says direct or stereo then you may not hear anything in the surrounds. The manual should help you out with this.

Something that wasn't clear though was you said that the Left front and surround had no sound, and then later you said it was muffled but only came out the front channel. Perhaps you can clarify that.

Good luck.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
Hey there Trey,

Thanks for your help. I just unplugged all the wires and reconnted them. Everything seemed to be working OK except that front left speaker. I popped in a DVD, and I could hear sound, but it was VERY faint. But more importantly, it was being overtaken by a lot of static noise. Other times I'll hear a monotone buzz sound from it. Other times, I'll hear nothing.

So I really don't understand what the problem was. I bought it off Circuitcity.com and hooked it up today. After replugging all the wires again, everything seems to be fine except for that front left speaker.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Have you at least switched the fronts to see if it is the speaker or the included AVR???

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Put the receiver in Direct mode (should be a button on the remote). That will force sound out of only the front left and front right speakers. Perhaps put in a CD instead of a DVD so that you get continuous sound. So try these tests:

1. (As John suggested) Switch the front speakers by moving them (not moving the wires). If the problem follows the speaker- then the speaker is the problem. If after you switch the speakers the front L still has a problem then try:
2. Switch the L and R speaker cable connected to the receiver. If the problem stays at the same speaker, then it's your speaker cable that has the problem. If the problem moves to the other speaker (follows the amp channel) then try this:
3. Disconnect the L and R speakers from the A set of terminals and reconnect them to the B speaker outputs of the receiver. Then Turn on the B channel (and probably turn the A channel off) and see what you get.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
OK thanks guys. I will try these ideas.

Question for you all: I'm going to head to Radio Shack sometime today. What kind of speaker wire should I be looking for, as I want to try a different speaker wire to see if that may be the problem (I'm using the ones that came with the HTiB).

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, you definitely should upgrade the wire. (Although it's unlikely that the wire is what caused your particular problem. The most common problem I've heard of with that system using the packaged wire is that at high volumes the AMP overheats and shuts off.) Probably generic 16 gauge would be perfect. 18 might be ok too if your runs aren't too long (say less than 30 feet or so). And unless one of your runs is over 50 feet I don't think you need to consider 14 gauge or lower. Granted though, there are about as many different opinions about wire as there are people...

I'm just curious, where are you that there is a radio shack nearby AND your timezone is GMT+1?

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
My time zone is EST. I'm in Mass. Got one three mins from where I'm located.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Cheaper at the harware store if one if close as well.

Gauge suggestions already posted seem reasonable.

trey-m

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Mike, I didn't realize until now that if you don't specify your city in your profile, then apparently your "local time" gets set to London Time. My mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks