Onkyo 770- How to hook up DVD if you are already using component inputs

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Frank_D, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

I am running component video from my cable box to my Onkyo receiver and then component to my projector.

I have tried to hook up the DVD with component but it looks like the only way to get audio and video from the DVD is to use S cable and a digital optical. I ran the S cable but NO video, only sound. ???

Any ideas?

2. John S

John S Producer

I have hooked up the 770 and run DVD and Cable from component through the AVR....

What is the issue????

3. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Frank,

Check the settings in the dvd player, as well as the input settings on the receiver. If you have the DVD player connected through component video cables, those only carry video. You'll have to use something else to carry the sound! If you are using the optical cable for sound, be sure to select optical on the input for DVD on the receiver.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Composite, S-video, and component ALL have no audio at all. You WANT a digital connection to your receiver, as this is the way you will get true, discrete surround. The only other option is to use the multichannel analog outputs (if dvd player has the outputs), but the receiver usually does a better job of handling bass management.

5. Frank_D

Frank_D Agent

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!

It was something as simple as not selecting the right audio outputs for the sound. All the wires were correct.

Once I got that figured out, everytime I went back to TV the picture was all scrambled. I have to hit the source button on the projector each time I go back and forth from DVD to TV and I am good. [​IMG]

Thanks.

6. Troy>M

Troy>M Auditioning

If you check this( I am a lttle late ) I am having problems with the sound not coming on unless I switch between components or turn the reciever off then back on again. Did this happen to you at all ? ( I have a 770 as well )

7. Tommie

Tommie Agent

hehe, good that it worked out for ya =)

i have gone crasy one or two times for stupid misstakes, but you feel good when u figure out how to do it [​IMG]

8. John S

John S Producer

Troy...

I have had it delay before giving sound, but never had to do any extra switching to get it to play. That seems odd.

9. Troy>M

Troy>M Auditioning

yeah it does it sometimes, then sometimes it is fine so I don't know. I even sent it out and it still does it, guess that I 'll just have to get used to it. Does yours show which speakers are active. The manual says that it should but the circuit city guys say it doesn't. I have my dvd hooked up optical and my cable box is just hooked with analog, so I think I have all the settings right , but now I wonder.

10. John S

John S Producer

I don't remember it giving good input on active speakers.

If it has the capability I'll bet it's more for show than functionality.

Via the 2 channel sources.. DPL(II,IIx, ect..) or DTS Neo:6 are you best choices for sources that have surround content.

Stereo sources often will be best in a stereo mode, often times you are being sent mono from the source so don't get discouarged if you can't always get surround from your 2 channel analog source stuff.

I have installed a few of these for people, but have never owned one myself by the way.

11. Troy>M

Troy>M Auditioning

Thanks for the reply John. I have sound the way it should be when everything is on, sometimes I just have to turn it on then off again to get sound while watching tv. It is always right on the money with dvds. I want to up grade sometime in the near future so I guess I won't worry about it to much. What do you think about the speakers can they handle a better receiver or should I get better speakers first ? ( when I get the ok from the wife ) We don't have much of a electronic selection where I live so I have to go by reviews or suggestions . Thanks, Troy

12. John S

John S Producer

The speakers are not as good as the AVR in my opinion..

Most people move the fronts to the rear and buy better fronts / center.

Even though the sub is decently robust, a way plus for it in my book, you can improve the system a ton with only a meaner sub.