What's new

Onkyo 705 - Video from one source while listening to audio from another source (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
In setting up a buddy's 705 last night, I can't seem to figure out how to have say, video from the satellite on the TV while listening to a CD through his PS3. On my Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro, this is accomplished by having the audio playing and then hitting the video source button, but apparently, that doesn't apply here. I'm sure there's a way to do this, but there's nothing about it in the manual and nothing that immediately jumps out at me when looking at the remote/front panel. Any help is appreciated...thanks!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Select the video source first, then the audio source. The source you are listening to has to be an audio-only source like CD/tape, not DVD/cbl/sat/aux etc.

If it's a PS3 you'd have to use second audio connection assigned to the CD inputs assuming you have it connected with HDMI for gaming/blu-ray as the DVD or game input.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Stephen...you solved the problem!

I set my iPod to use the CD input (not the AUX input) and it worked just fine. I think the issue was that I was trying to use the PS3 to also play CDs as an audio source and I guess that just ain't happening. Oh well, thanks again!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

To get the PS3 to work, as I said above, create a 2nd connection for audio to the receiver. Either use the AV stereo cable or optical, assign to CD or tape input. Use that input when wanting to use the PS3 for audio only, otherwise use whatever HDMI input you are using for both audio & video.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Well, but then I'll have to change the settings in the PS3 to output bitstream (instead of PCM) every time I want to listen to a CD, correct? Seems like kind of a pain.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

No, analog is obviously unaffected & for the optical output CDs are PCM to begin with, so there is no difference between bitstream & PCM for CDs.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

OK, so hook up the optical digital out > the CD input of the Onkyo leaving the HDMI cable alone and it should work? If so, cool...thanks! Who knew we'd have to be so creative in using this gear sometimes? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks