What's new

Onkyo 705: Trying to prevent potential hum. (1 Viewer)

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
As I finish the electric on my HT: If I put my lights on one circuit and and components on another, will this prevent the possibility of the infamous humm that I read about? BTW, I Havn't taken the 705 out of the box yet (got it on clearance), and I have an SVS sub.

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
The hum there is often referred to is a "60Hz ground loop" and is not related to other items that share the AC circuit. Ground loops are caused by your HT compounds not having a common ground, and then having current flowing between them. Ground loops are not all that common, however they can be a pain to fix if you happen to have one.

To reduce the likely hood of having ground loops make sure that your equipment is connected to a common AC point that is properly grounded. Also, it sometimes helps to have each component tied to a good ground.

As I said, ground loops are not common so don't spend a lot of time fixing a problem before you know it exists. Just follow good installation practices and you should be fine.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It's never a bad idea to put the HT gear on a dedicated circuit, but that's not necessarily a guarantee that you won't get any noise from ground loops. The most common cause is not lights, but cable TV or satellite feeds that are not properly grounded. Lighting dimmers can also cause noise, all the more reason to keep lights on a separate circuit, especially if you're going to use dimmers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Rancho5

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alec
Seeinghow dimmers are part of the lighting plan, I am glad that I have separate circuit. Also, and this may seem strange, we don't even have a cable or satellite TV so no worries there. As a family, we've decided to purchase DVD's with the money we might spend on cable, etc. TV is hardly ever on.

Anyway, it sounds like the loop might not even come up so I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karraktu
Recent bookmarks