What's new

Onkyo 702 vs 703 (1 Viewer)

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Has anyone had any experience with both of these receivers? I'm considering the 703 but started noticing the 702, last years model. It looks like the main difference is the XM readiness of the 703 and that the 702 has an optical digital output which the 703 lacks. If I can pick up the 702 cheaper on clearance, I'd like to unless someone can fill me in on why I should go with the 703. I have little to no interest in XM and my current receiver, which I've had for over 5 years, has never had the tuner even turned on.

Thanks.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
But since they are both THX select, don't they both have the THX DSP modes? What is the difference between THX Select and THX Select 2 anyway?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
beats me. It might be a good idea to download the manuals, and compare what's available. The only difference that comes to mind is that THX Select2 is supposed to feature the ASA (Adaptive Speaker Array) which tweaks the 7.1 modes a bit. There's a lot of marketing fluff involved.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Sounds like a lot of marketing fluff to me.

I noticed that weight difference. Maybe one less brick in the unit? ;)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hmm.
The 702 sucks up 8.1 amps. The 703, 7.5 amps.

The 703 has THX Select2, which adds THX Music and THX game mode.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Interesting. Maybe a new more efficient design? I may be remembering incorrectly, but I seem to remember something about some people feeling that Onkyo receivers ran hot. Maybe addressing that? Or am I remembering wrong?

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
Looking over the manuals, I notice that those the THX music and game modes only work with 6 or 7.1. I plan on sticking with 5.1 for at least a while so they are of no use to me. The 702 has an extra digital optical output which may end up being useful. The 702 has only a 5.1 input while the 703 has a 7.1 input. I may be interested in SACD or DVDAudio. I think the 5.1 input would handle that though. The 703 is XM ready but I have little or no interest in that.

Sounds like I really would be better going with the 702, especially since I can get it cheaper.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
You may want 7.1 connectivity for future surround sound applications (Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus)

See FAQ #24 and #25:

http://www.dolby.com/assets/pdf//tec...0925_Final.pdf

Look familiar? That's because this is just like the early DVD players and Pro Logic "Dolby Digital ready" receivers of yesterday.

Soon, receivers will have the next-gen decoders built in:

Eventually, A/V receivers will have direct access to Dolby® Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. We are working with the IEC and HDMI organizations to update data protocols to enable future versions of these high-bandwidth interfaces to carry these bitstreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks