Onkyo 701 or Yamaha 5590?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dah-Dee, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

I'm looking for a new receiver and see that Circuit City has the Onkyo on sale online for $720; Best Buy has the 5590 on sale for $664. Seems like Onkyo has generally received better reviews here and elsewhere recently, but I'm wondering how members here feel about how these two particular models stack up against each other. Which should I get? Please keep in mind that I'm limited to either Best Buy or Circuit City per the wife's orders (store credit cards with room to charge). Thanks for any input!

2. Steve Crowley

Steve Crowley Stunt Coordinator

I have the Onkyo TX-DS797B and have had great results with it. Both are very good for the money and it just matters how much kit you will be hooking up to it. Check out all of the inputs and outputs and then decide for upgradeability. Does the rcvr have pre-amp ins and outs? That is how I would go about it. Cheers.

3. Jeff W.

Jeff W. Stunt Coordinator

Can't go wrong with Onkyo.

If you want to save money, Onecall.com has the Onkyo TX-SR700 (last year's model, identical to the 701 only without the THX badge) for $428. It's refurbished, but good as new with 1yr factory warranty.

I don't know what kind of store credit card you have, but I recently got a Circuit City card and it works just like any Visa card, in fact I used it to buy that Onkyo from Onecall!

4. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Aaaaaegh, so many choices! I went over to Circuit City, intending to buy the Onkyo 701, and saw that they have the Onkyo 601 on sale for $450. That's $270 less than the 701! I'm so confused, just don't know if the 701 is worth the extra money for my application -- mostly watching movies (HD cable and DVD). Looks like the 701 has the feature of the 601, plus: large set of pre-in/out connections; 15 more watts per channel; digital coax out; THX certification/sound fields. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to add an extra amplifier to take advantage of the pre-outs, so is it worth $270 for the other extra stuff (plus anything I didn't notice -- ??)? Thanks for any additional input!

Edit: Please note that I am still required to buy from either CC or Worst Buy .... *sigh*

5. Jeff W.

If you won't use the preout/ins of the 701 and/or don't need the extra power then definitely get the 601. Or the 700 refurb, if they have any left. Only thing about the 600-series is they don't have a Phono input, which I need.

6. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

Thanks, Jeff, I may do that. The single open-box receiver at my CC was an Onkyo 900, for $920. What a monster! I eyed it but have the same concerns about usefulness of features and don't think the boss would let me shell out that much anyway.

Edit: Oh, the CC card we have is a revolving account good only for purchases at CC, so looks like no internet shopping for me. Really sucks, because the deals online are infinitely better! I could easily step up a model, say from 601 to 701, maybe even 2 steps up, for the same price I'll pay B&M. Grrrr.

7. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

This may not get a response, since it's in my receiver thread, but I also saw that my local CC has 2 open-box Infinity Alpha 50 floor speakers for $300 each. Seems like a good deal, as the list is $500 each and CC currently has them on sale for $400 each. Anybody know anything about these speakers? Would buying these speakers change a recommendation on which receiver I should go with? Thanks.

Edit: I went ahead and also posted a request for guidance on the Alpha 50s in the speaker/sub forum, but I'd still appreciate advice on whether addition of these speakers to my home theater system would affect opinions here on whether I should go with the 601/701 or other Onkyo/Yamaha/HK receiver. Thanks.

8. Jeff W.

I directly compared the Alpha 50 to the Polk RTi70 and RTi150, I bought the Polk 150's. Of course it didn't hurt that the Polks were on closeout sale for $250 ea (normally $800 ea). But even so, the Polks sounded much more open and detailed, the Alphas sounded boxy, and the cabinets.. OY they are cheap vinyl, whereas the Polks have real wood vaneers. I would definitely try to compare them before you buy, and as always, if you can do an in-home audition (ie 30-day satisfaction guarantee) by all means take advantage of it.