Onkyo 696

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleV, Jan 26, 2002.

1. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Onkyo 696 owners what do you think of them? Just curious having owned one since June of 2001

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Things I like would have to include the ergonomics and the remote. I also like the sound and sound processing, although I sometimes wish it had a bit more actual power for when I want to listen to thing REAL LOUD. Finally, I like the connect options available, although I'd like one more coaxial personally.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

What about you Dale? What do you like about the Onkyo?

4. DaleV

DaleV Agent

Well, I love the remote control,DPLII and the lack of all the DSP's. The power is okay but I added an unused Yamaha rv1105 to power the fronts and center. It sounded really good before adding the Yamaha,but now it sounds great. Am fixing to upgrade to new speakers(Paradigm Ref40's front and rear),Ref center and also adding a Anthem MCA5 or 50. Will be using the 696 as a pre/pro until I can afford something different. Expect this system to sound awesome.Who knows maybe I won't need a different pre/pro. The 696 is very user friendly and with the remote set up using macros even the wife and kids can use it and love it.Before the 696 I was using the Yamaha RV1105 and the remote on that thing sucked. Also the Yamaha seemed way to "bright" for the Polk speakers I'm using now. After upgrading I'm going to give the Yamaha and Polk system to my son. I'd listened to other receivers in the price range of the 696 before deciding that the 696 to me was the best one.This was my first Onkyo purchase as before I was exclusively a Yamaha person. Glad I changed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this model to anyone else.

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Ditto on user friendly and great remote. I also had a Yamaha before the 696. I love the sound of the Onkyo. I had it paired with Studio 40s . The 696 is now in the bedroom with Polk RT25i speakers and it doesn't sound nearly as good. But I will be upgrading those speakers in the near future.

I am now the owner of the 696 and the 898 and I wouldn't part with either of them.