Onkyo 696 vs Denon 2802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Nov 9, 2001
    I'm in the market for a new A/V receiver, and I would use it for bpth HT and music. I want a lot of power and reliability. I've read some nasty things about the defects in the 676 Onkyos and thought that the 696 may not be such a good buy. I like the Denon 2802, but I will not be using a rear center for a while, or I'm not planning on it. Will the extra 10 watts in the 696 blow away the 2802? I know that they both have backlit remotes and OSD, which is nice, but really, I want what sounds better, and will play with more power and clarity. Also, if anyone knows where I can get these for cheap from an authorized dealer, it'd help. Thank you.
  2. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Feb 20, 1999
    You really need to demo these somewhere to get a better idea. They do sound different, btw.
    The 696 is a total redesign, btw, and has no relation to the 676's other than brand. I have the 696 and love it. Not one problem. If you can afford it, DO check into getting 6.1 or 7.1. It does make a difference! Otherwise, goodluck [​IMG]
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....
  3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Mar 4, 2001
    David Fischer
    I've also got the 696 and really like it. But, 10 watts of power difference is not going to "blow it away" -- the rule of thumb is you have to increase the power (watts) by 10-fold, in order to get a two-fold increase in perceived volume. So ±10W from 100W is not going to be very noticeable, IMO.
    I'd suggest looking at features offered (compared to what you want), price, etc. [​IMG]