What's new

Onkyo 616 I need an upgrade (1 Viewer)

GeoffryB

Auditioning
Maybe I was spoiled, but I had a Sony ES 333 for quite a few years that sounded fantastic, however it was before the HDMI era and I needed to upgrade. I chose the Onkyo 616, because it was on sale and it had a great set of features. However I am a but underwhelmed by this receiver. I have a Paradigm set of speakers, 4 in the ceiling and 2 front towers and a center and sub.
1. The Blue Ray audio interface isn't reliable, I can get it to work sometimes, but end up watching movies in 3.1 instead of 7.1 or even 5.1. I called their tech support and at this point I am just giving up, I even went and bought a new BD player thinking that it might be bad.
Has anyone had these types of issues?
2. The center audio is muddled, I can barely understand the words at times. I thought my hearing was going bad until someone came over and noticed it too.
3. My old Sony ES just sounded better. I see that Sony doesn't seem to sell the ES family anymore.
What are some comparable receivers? I am looking at the $500-600 range if possible.
GDB

GeoffryB

Auditioning
Ok, I went out today and looked around and am now looking at the following.
1. Yamaha RXA810
2. Yamaha RXA1010
3. Yamaha RXV773
All 3 were between $650 and $850 in price. He steered me away from Denon.
The salesman, said, that my Onkyo just wasn't going to be able to drive my Paradigm towers well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In June, I bought two Onkyo's 818 that replaced Denon's 4308 and 5308. Both of the Denon's were more than I needed watts-wise for the size of my rooms. I am extremely happy with the Onkyo 818 and it has no problem driving my Paradigm's in both my 7.1 and 5.1 HT setups. The 818 probably a little more expensive than what you're looking for, but feature-wise I think the Onkyo is the best bang for your buck receiver. Also, I find the video processing of my DirecTV feed improved with the 818 over both Denons.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never owned a bottom rung Onkyo. I've always bought at least a middle rung. I currently have an Integra DTR 5.8 and Onk TX-SR707. I'm about to jump into the "networked receiver" game and I'll probably buy a 717. If I feel like dusting off one of my SACD/DVD-A players for the main room again(currently only listen to them on the 5.8) I'll essentially have to forgo the new ones and find an 809 as clearance or used.
Shame pre-in is disappearing, but if you still have time to exchange the 616, you could try the 717 and it if doesn't have enough power, it has pre-outs.
I haven't perused the notion of buying an HDMI able SACD/DVD-A player...but it seems that time is due with the demise of the pre-in.
And that loss of pre-in is a shame. I still have a really old Panasonic that I use strictly as a 5 channel amp. I guess home audio has really reached the "throw it away" stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks