What's new

onkyo 601 pushing 4ohms???? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
I have onkyo 601 and I'm thinking about buying the new Maggies MMG W's. They are rated at 4 ohms. I was wondering
if anybody has used 601 pushing 4 ohms? THX

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
On audioholics web site reviewed the 601 using 4 ohms. i just took a peek at it. they were using axiom 80. so i guess they could handle them. i wonder what kind of distortion would occure if cranked up???

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
If your going to use a 4Ohm I just wouldn't push it very hard because as the Onkyo601 is only a mid-entry level reciever I don't feel it would have the power for a 4Ohm load, especially at high-load.

David Judah

Screenwriter
They are relatively insensitive speakers, as well, so while the receiver will probably drive them at lower to moderate levels, they will most likely sound better(open up)with a dedicated power amp.

DJ

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi: It has been my experience as well as many others on various forums that Onkyo/Integra receivers do not work well with 4 ohm speakers, especially when they dip below the 4 ohm level. You will likely find they clip at higher volume levels, which can cause damage to the electronics as well as the speaker. You probably won't be happy with that combination. 4 ohm speakers like clean power, consider separates if you love the speakers.
Good luck
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks