Onkyo 600 or Yamaha 630

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VepeR, Jan 27, 2003.

1. VepeR

VepeR Auditioning

I am deciding betwen Onkyo 600 and Yamaha 630 receiver. It will be used for both, stereo and movies (surround). Please help me decide with your arguments for each one.

Thanks

2. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

VepeR - I choose the Onkyo becasue to me it sounded better when demoed in equal environments. However.. As always your milage will vary.

Jim

3. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

I have the Onkyo 600 and set up a Yamaha 730 for my father-in-law's system. If I remember correctly, the 730 is a 630 with an on-screen display for set-up, and the remote has a one-line LCD.

I'm extremely happy with my Onkyo, but I was impressed with the 730 as well. The 730 (630?) has pre-outs for all the channels and the Onkyo has only the sub pre-out. The Yamaha had one or two more digital inputs than the Onkyo, but this isn't an issue for me. I think the Onkyo's remote is better arranged, and set-up with the Onkyo was easier/more intuitive for me. Both models look and sound great. If prices are close, and you don't need pre-outs, I'd go with the Onkyo. This is a no-lose situation either way, so don't lose too much sleep over it! Good luck.

4. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

These 2 rcvrs were also on my short list. The Onkyo won in the end with a Learning/Multibrand remote and OSD.

Other than that they are very close in features like THD%, component bandwidth, but the Onkyo can usually be found for a bit cheaper.

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I own the 730 which I'm very happy with not too familiar with the Onkyo the differences between the 630 and 730 are 730 has phono in, on screen display and upgraded remote. Other than that same reciever and I really like the fact the Yamaha has pre-outs for all channels as I figure when I get into a house and decide to upgrade to larger amps I can use it for a pre/pro with no problems.