What's new

Onkyo 600 or Yamaha 5560? (1 Viewer)

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Well, just when I thought my mind was made up, yamaha decides to confuse me again. I am assuming this will be the 600's main competitor. So which to choose? Here are the main differences:

Onkyo 600 has 80 watts x 6

Yamaha 5560 has 75W x 6

5560 has pre outs for all channels, the 600 does not

Aside from that, the two are remarkably similar.

The only true advantage is the preouts on the yamaha, and it is the exact same price as the 600. Common sense would tell me to get the 5560 instead, or am I mistaken?

I have no way of auditioning either since I am stationed overseas. Which of these receivers has a warmer, clearer sound. I don't like anything that sounds very bright or "metallic"?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget to throw the Yamaha RX-V630 into the mix. It is essentially the same receiver as the 5560. However, I can't comment on the "brightness" of the sound as I haven't heard them yet.

I like Onkyo better than Yamaha...but I couldn't tell you why, really. I haven't sat down and compared them directly or anything and I'm not really an audio-phile anyhow. The lack of pre-outs is something of a let-down but I decided not to allow it to bother me. If I were going to be in a position to add an amp to my system anytime soon, I might reconsider though.

The way I look at it is that I am considering the Onkyo 600 because I don't have a lot of money. That being the case, it is unlikely that I will have $2000+ to spend on an amp anytime soon. Therefore, why allow the lack of pre-outs bother me? I was really tempted to order an Outlaw 950 but I just couldn't afford even their "budget" 770 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks