Onkyo 600 for a newbie, advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Niel_JL, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Niel_JL

Niel_JL Stunt Coordinator

Mar 24, 2002
    Hey all, this is my first post here. I've been doing research for the past few months. Small HT is what I'm looking for. I use component video for my DVD players so I need a receiver with 2 inputs. I hadn't found one in my price range until I found out about the Onkyo 600. For a starter in home theater, it seems to have everything I need to get me started. Here is the spec list:
    80 W/Ch x 6 into 8W (20Hz-20kHz)
    105 W/Ch x 6 into 6W (20Hz-20kHz)
    All Discrete Power Stage
    All Channel Low-Impedance (6W) Capable
    2 Component-Video Inputs/1 Output
    5 S-Video Inputs/2 Outputs
    Multi-Channel Input for DVD-Audio
    Pre-Out Terminal for Subwoofer
    4 Digital Inputs (3 Optical/1Coaxial)
    1 Digital Output (Optical)
    Front Panel Video, S-Video & Digital Inputs
    Optimum Gain Volume Control
    High-Current, Low-Impedance Drive
    192 kHz/24-bit DACs for L/R Channels
    96 kHz/24-bit DACs for All Other Channels
    Solid Aluminum Front Panel
    Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital EX DTS & DTS-ES Decoders
    13 DSP Modes
    WRAT-Wide Range Amplifier Technology (10 Hz – 100 kHz)
    Non-Scaling Configuration
    Onscreen Display
    Dot Matrix Fluorescent Display
    5.1 Multichannel Input
    Color Coded Speaker Terminals
    40 AM/FM Random Presets
    FM Automatic Scan Tuning
    AM Loop Antenna
    Battery Free Backup Memory Protection
    Adjustable Crossover (80/100/120 Hz) Control
    As far as speakers go, I currently own Boston Acoustics HD7 from back in college. I was planning on using them as my surrounds and then buy the BA CR65 for fronts and the BA VR10 as the center channel,along with the subwoofer.
    All I'm looking for is a basic but descent starter HT that can be improved on in the future. You also have to be aware that married with a child decreases your spending budget. [​IMG]
    If you all could give me your opinion in my projected set up, I would gladly appreciate it
  2. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

Dec 12, 2001
    I am also contimplating the 600 .. one call and circuit city will have it for $449 in the next week or so.. looks like a good deal. I think it is the one I am going to go with!

good luck

3. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Jan 2, 2001
    After much looking for receivers in my price range I am also most likely gonna go with the 600. I had heavily considered the HK 320, but one feature that I had to have was A&B speaker outs. Plus the HK is more money. I may for some reviews before I make the purchase it, I wish they would just release it already.

I just bought JBL's(NSP1 and PB12) for my future set up but they will be in the box until i get the 600.
  4. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Jan 15, 2001
    Neil, I'm sure the 600 is going to be a great receiver and you're going to be very happy with it. I was in your position about this time last year (setting up my first HT)and went with the, then new, Onkyo 595 - I am an extremely satisfied customer - it's a solid piece of electronics.

You might want to try J&R before you pay out $450 though - they had the 595s at $356 right after they came out with very little haggling. Give them a look ...

Can't comment on your choice in speakers as I've never heard them, but I wouldn't feel compelled to match your new speakers to your old if the old ones aren't very good to begin with.

Give some ceramic Norh 4.0s a look if you want rediculous price/performance ratio ...

Good luck.
  5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Feb 24, 2002

Niel_JL Stunt Coordinator

Mar 24, 2002

I remember auditioning the boston's, comparing them with a few other brands. This was 10 years ago, but I still remember to this day how crisp and clean they sounded. With the right receiver, I know they will sound even better.

Being deployed here in Turkey doesn't give me the chance to audition new speakers so I'm going with what I know sounds good, which is Boston Acoustics