Onkyo 600/Denon 2802/Marantz 5200 and on-screen setup, is it required?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, May 5, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I've been looking into getting a new 6.1 a/v receiver (see previous threads [​IMG] ) but in my current setup, I do not run the receiver to the tv. I only have a vcr and a dvd player and they both are plugged (video-wise) into jacks on the tv (which only has two sets of discrete inputs). It seems from reading reviews on the Denon model that you can't really do much without using the on-screen menu through the monitor out jack. Is this true? I'd be willing to lug my cheap Sharp 20 inch tv from the basement in order to do a one time or once in a blue moon configuration setup on any of these models but if most configuration options require the use of a tv monitor than that seems like a real turn off for me. For example, how does one do the Avia audio setup and change the volume levels for the various channels on the receiver? Do you flip back and forth between inputs on the tv? Maybe I'm missing something here and need to be enlightened.
    For people who own these models, what is your experience with configuring them? What can and can't you do just using the main display on the receiver?
    thanks for any input!
    --tom

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    I'd like to know as well, though I don't think there could be anything you can't do within the receiver [​IMG] ... [​IMG]how about just temporarily unplugging your VCR or anything else from the set while you're doing adjustments?[​IMG] [​IMG]
    -ELmO :b

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Elmo, that would be ok for once in a blue moon adjustments but I read a review of the Denon 2802 over at audioreview.com which stated that the reviewer had to enter the on screen display to change the bass/treble settings when listening to music. This seems a tad overkill as far as on-screen displays. I do realize that the move is to this so when I do my next major upgrade of my video, I'll design the system around this fact [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

4. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

Another thing is, is it possible to run your VCR to your surround sound and then back to your TV? That way you could get monitor out. I'm not much into VCR so I'm not sure how many VCRs have Svideo out, I doubt you would notice much degradation in the signal by routing it through a nice receiver. (I know on some cheapo receivers I used to own, I would get interference by going through the receiver).
    -ELmO[​IMG] How long can I go before someone tells me that my signature is annoying and hasto be removed? =D

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

It's a complicated story but I don't want to route my vcr through the receiver. The main reason is that my wife will use it to listen to music in another room and sometimes I still want to watch something I've recorded that week on the vcr. It's infrequent but this scenario just happened so it does happen [​IMG]
    I guess I'm just getting older and long for the old days of non-GUI interfaces [​IMG]
    cheers,
    --tom

6. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,

I have the Onkyo TX-SR600 and to my knowledge, you have access to all options and can configure everything through the dot-matrix display on the front panel by using the remote or the buttons on the front panel. You can also use the OSD if you wish through the S-Video or Composte-Video Monitor Outputs. I haven't used the Marantz 5200 or the Denon 2802 much, so I can't comment on those receivers.

Parin

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Parin for the info on the Onkyo. It is much appreciated.

I must admit this afternoon I narrowed down my selection to the Onkyo model and the Pioneer D811S. And since I couldn't find the Onkyo anywhere (for the past two weekends), I picked up the Pioneer D811S at Best Buy for $400 to give it a try. I figure if I don't like it that I can return it and by that time there will be more Onkyo SR600s floating about the local retailers where I am.

cheers,

--tom

8. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator