What's new

Onkyo 595, Yamaha RX-V520, or Denon 1602 (1 Viewer)

I'd like any opinons on the Onkyo TX-DS595 vs. the Yamaha RX-V520 (HTR-5450) or the Denon 1602.

I know that the Onkyo & Denon have Dolby Pro Logic II whereas the Yamaha does not. Supposedly the new Yamaha RX-V530 has DPL II, but I can't find anything about it on the Yamaha web site. Other than that, they seem to match up pretty well.

Things important to me are assignable optical (& coaxial) ins as well as at least 3 S-Video inupts.

Any opinions from current owners of each model?

Thanks!!

AbelM

Second Unit
Wel I used to have the Onkyo 595, but it didn't have enough digital inputs for me...So I took it back and got the 520, which I love and won't get rid of it until seperates rule the earth. So imo, go with Yammy.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Given those choices I'd go with the Onkyo. If the Denon AVR-1802 is in the mix that would get the nod.

Bryanz,

Besides the extra 10 watts of power, pre-outs, and a few extra inputs, what are the advantages of the 1802 over the 1602. Both are probably in my price range (under $500).

Thanks!!

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, I did an A/B between the 1602 and 1802 and could not find any audible difference between them so I went with the 1602 since I did not need the extra features of the 1802. In regards to the 10 watts power difference, in the real world the difference between 70 watts and 80 watts is inaudible. That being said, I also have an Onkyo 595 which I like better than the Denon for ease of use, the remote, much better manual and the phono connection. If I were to have to only one receiver and had to choose between the 595 and a 1802/1602 I would go with the Onkyo. All are good choices however, and the one that has the best set of features that you want/need should tip the scale towards that receiver.

Regards, Nick

Thanks for your input Nick.

Do you think that the Onkyo 494 would be a viable option? I notice it is 55W vs 75W for the 595. The room is only about 12x14 or so less power shouldn't be a big deal. The less amount of inputs don't concern me for what I am going to be running.

Seems like a savings of $200 may be worth it.

This is also just a shorter term solution until I can afford something more when we move into our next house in a few years.

David Cohen

Agent
Brent,

You may be a bit disappointed with the Onkyo 494 in comparison to the 595. The 494 has very rudimentary speaker adjustments, i.e. no speaker distance settings or individual speaker type settings (all large or all small). The 595 also has a microprocessor power supply that has switching for 6 0r 4 ohm speakers. the remote for the 494 leaves room for improvement too. just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Save up a little more and go with the RXV620. it's pretty cheap right now and you can find them for around $350. Anyway, it adds more power(100W/ch), a digital volume control(the biggest feature/need IMO), component video switching, and a few other features. I have the 620 and love the thing. I just cant see getting a receiver without the digital volume control, It will make it very dificult to set a refference level. If you need 6.1, or DPL2, you should wait for the new Yamaha's to come out but you will pay a little more since the will be new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks