Onkyo -595 w/ JBL NSP1's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Sep 14, 2001.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Does anyone have this setup? What's your opinion on it?

2. WilliamG

Sean,
    Thanks- I'm all new to the HT thing (not because of lack of interest, it's the $$$ [​IMG]), and I'm just trying to make up my mind. You may have seen me post questions about the Sony STR-DE875 receiver. Seems like a lot of people really don't care for that one, although I've had lots of luck w/other Sony components - camcorder, TV, cd player, etc. I'd *like* to get the Sony, but am just trying to hold back on buying(and saving up just a few more bucks) to make sure that I'm gonna be happy with what I get. It's called 'waffling'. [​IMG]
    We're in a reaallly small home with an equally small rectangular living room. Picture if you can the sofa, 2 recliners flanking the sofa and all spread out at the bottom of the rectangle w/the 'long' side down. Directly across from the sofa is the viewing area. The 'sweet spot' viewing area is approx. 8'. I know that's not much to go on, but I'm just trying to make the right decision! [​IMG]
    I guess it just comes down to what I like best, huh?!
    [Edited last by WilliamG on September 14, 2001 at 03:08 PM]

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I also second Sean's recommendation especially the JBL NSP1's - but, . . . audition the Sony AV Receiver if you can. I replaced my Sony AV Receiver because while watching my DVD's near or @ REF level, there was a noticeble HISSSSSSssss present during the quiet moments of the DVD movie. Very distracting to say the least. The Sony had it present in all the channels and it was audible, though low output, @ my sweetspot (9-feet from the Center channel) and around my 20 x 30 HT/Family room.
    Once I bought my Yamaha, I could watch my DVD @ REF level and during the quiet sections, NO HISSSSSSssss!!!
    Another test is when you REF Calibrate your HT Speakers (75 dB using Video Essentials / 85 dBf w/AVIA), after you're done it, play those tones again then press the pause key. What do you hear??? It should be dead silence and no HISSSSSSssss! Both my Yamaha's (R-V905 mailorder version of the RX-V595 and RX-V995 are DEAD Silent during this test.
    Food for thought!
    For more JBL NSP1 INFO & reviews (including mine), see my webpage http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/JBL_Labs.html
    [Edited last by Phil Iturralde on September 14, 2001 at 04:43 PM]

4. WilliamG

Phil,
    Thanks so much for the recommendation!

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

William: Sean and Phil made some excellent recommendations IMO and I'd like to add a few suggestions as well that may be helpful.
    If you really like Sony products, you might consider their DB line....a big step up in quality and perfromance from the DE line for just a little more money.
    Also, in addition to the excellent Onkyo 595 that you're considering and the Yamahas that Phil recommended, Kenwood is gaining in popularity lately. Although still not recommended as often as some of the other brands I can tell you from personal experience that they offer a tremendous bang for your buck....I'm sure Sean will agree with me. [​IMG]
    I'm currently running a Kenwood VR-507 (DD/DTS/DPL II/5.1 Circle Surround) which can be had for $300 or less, with JBL's HLS (discontiuned) line of speakers and a Velodyne CT-120....this system performs incredibly! BTW, regarding the hissing problem that Phil experienced with the Sony that he owned previously, the Kenwood exhibits none of this.
    Just my $0.02 worth....good luck!
    ------------------

6. WilliamG

Sean, Phil, and Vin-
    I live just 20 mi. from Little Rock, so I just got back from Circuit City and auditioning the Onkyo 595!! WOW - I loved it [​IMG] And the weight of that thing! Phil, you were right about the hiss. The Sony was there also, so I got to compare the two. Handsdown, it's the Onkyo - NO hiss.
    Now, I didn't want to throw too many irons in the fire, so Sean, the Kenwood's gonna have to be left out in the cold [​IMG]
    This board is amazing ... so many people with not only opinions, but INFORMED opinions as well.
    It'll be several weeks before I'm ready to buy, but I'll let you know once everything is in-house. And I'll probably have some MORE questions before that point anyway! LOL
    Now, if someone would post that link again to the online e-tailer that had the 595 for the upper $300's ... seems like it was $360 or so .. I didn't think I'd be needing it, and now I do!! CC was selling it for $499!!
    Thanks again, guys.

7. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

You can pick it up at jandr.com for something like $359 ($382) shipped. I just recieved mine from them. I called and told them I knew a couple of people that got it for that price from them and they hooked me up.
    Later
    Marshall

8. WilliamG

Marshall,
    How recent was that? The reason I ask is that in light of this week's events I'd be curious as to how quick they are shipping.
    Thanks so much for your response. Looks like J&R's and CrazyEddie's are the low sites. It still seems like there's another place that was mentioned specifically for the 595 within in past week.
    Anyone?

9. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

10. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Hey,
    I ordered on friday 8/31, it shipped on Tueday 9/4. I recieved it on Tueday 9/11. It was tough to enjoy it with all the shit that went down that day. So since I recieved it on the 11th I dont know how the disaster has effected shipping. I think jandr.com is a good place though. They are an authorized Onkyo dealer and they have great prices.
    Good Luck
    Marshall

11. WilliamG

Mike-
    THAT'S IT!! What kind of shipping time did they give you? What about warranty service? When I went to the site I couldn't find out anything about that. It's a great looking site, but how did you order? Did you call them? I went to the "shopping cart" just to play a bit, and it brought up another page totally unrelated with no hint of a form to fill out or anything.
    Marshall-
    Yes, I've ordered from J&R before, although that was about 15 years ago for a Technics linear-tracking turntable!! (Which, by the way, still works and sounds great [​IMG] ) So if this other site doesn't work out, I'll consider them again. [​IMG]

12. Mike-H

Mike-H Agent

William,
    I ordered from their webpage. I didn't have any problems. Here is a link to their info page.
    http://www.proactiveelectronics.com/infocenter.html
    They claim they are an authorized reseller.
    I received a confirmation email and replied asking if they give tracking information. They said they email tracking info when they get reports from their warehouses. I have not received that email yet. I may call tomorrow to check on it.