What's new

Onkyo 595 sub test tone vs. VE sub test tone (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Last night my girlfriend and I calibrated my 595 using VE. Reading numerous posts on here about calibrating, I adjusted all speaker levels to 0, then I used the main volume until my left speaker was at 70db (forgot I should use 75db, but I'm gonna do it again). I then adjusted the levels on all speakers to match the left. What I noticed though was a huge difference between VE sub test tone and the 595's. All of the 595's test tones were a bit louder than VE's, but after setting my sub to VE's, the 595's sub test tone maxed out the meter and was VERY loud.
It seems the 595's tone is of a higher pitch, more closly related to the other channels, were VE's is a low "hum". Does this sound right? Reguardless, we then watched "15 minutes" (great flic!) and the sound was incrediable. Didn't sound like to much Bass... everything seemed just right.
Thanks,
Mike D.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed this in my 595 as well. When I calibrated from the internal tone generator, I thought the surrounds were too loud and the bass too soft. When I calibrated from my Avia disc, it rectified the situation. So we have 2 different test/setup dvds which seem to confirm that the 595 tones are off.
------------------
--------
Ted K.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Yes, I've noticed this. I haven't used VE, but Avia and the THX Optimode (on Toy Story 2) both confirm that the 595 subwoofer tone is waaaaaay off. Like 10dB off! The 595 speakers tones aren't nearly so bad, but I'd definately recommend using a calibration disc instead.
If you use THX Optimode on the Toy Story 2 disc, note that the tones for front left, center and right are dead on with Avia (-20dB). The surround left and right tones are off by about 2 dB but I don't recall which direction (I can check my notes and tell you on Monday). And the subwoofer tone was within 1dB. But for the sub most people tend to tweak it by ear anyway.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
This seems to be a flaw in the new Onkyos as Sound & Vision's review of the 696 stated that the internal test tone for the subwoofer was 10dB too low. I had the same problem with my 595 so I just stick with Avia's test tones.

Thomas B

Agent
Ditto from this end, as well. My 595 subwoofer test tones had my setting way off. Using Avia, however, it sounds fine. Mine seemed to be about 10 db off with the 595's test tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks