What's new

Onkyo 595 speaker distance setup question, possible problem. (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I may be having a problem setting the speaker distance on my Onkyo 595. I go into the speaker level setup and adjust the distance from my front L/R, center, and surround L/R.
However, after I leave the setup and go back in the front L/R setting are changed.
In fact even before I leave if I go back to either the front or surround distance setting it seems to change based on how I've changed the other speakers! Is this normal. I'm trying to get my surrounds set to 8 feet and the fronts set to 6 but I just can't get them to set correctly and stay where I put them. Does anyone have any ideas or is having the same trouble? Thanks.

Thomas B

Agent
Sean do you completely exit the "setup" and then reckeck your settings? It is possible for you to temporarily change the speaker settings at one sitting with the remote (not using the "setup" button), then after cutting the receiver off, all settings go back to the original. With my 595, I thought I had all my speakers set to "Small", but when trying to manage the bass settings, I found that my subwoofer was weak. On rechecking the setup, I found that my front speakers were set to "large". After correction of that, everything sounded fine. I am not sure what I did to cause that "large" setting, but you may have done the same thing that I did. As for distances, I have mine set for 12 feet from the fronts and 9 for the surrounds. After entering those, it remained set for me. Try different settings (just as a test, with the surrounds at a shorter distance than the fronts) and see if it changes on you again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm trying to get my surrounds set to 8 feet and the fronts set to 6
That's the problem actually. You can't set the surrounds to be farther away than the mains. When you set the surrounds to 8ft, the mains automatically get bumped up to 8ft. I see this happen on my 696 (I just checked to make sure, before replying).

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
That must be the problem, that it won't let me set the surrounds to be further away than the mains. I don't really have much choice though with the way my bedroom has to be set up. Maybe I should just set everything to 1 or at least some equal setting so that there isn't any delay relative to any of the other speakers at all in this case. Would that probably be the best thing? Or should I maybe try and find someway to move my rears closer.
Right now my rears are on the opposite wall of my TV, approximately 15 feet. I only sit about 5 or six feet away from the TV though so. The only other place I could move the surround would be to about the 6 or 7 foot mark along the side walls. I guess I should really try and get some pictures of my rudimentary setup to make it easier.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I am not sure what I did to cause that "large" setting, but you may have done the same thing that I did.
On my Kenwood VR-507, setting the sub to OFF will automatically set the fronts to LARGE (upon exiting the set-up mode). This is probably the case with Onkyo and most likely with other brand receivers as well....the LFE needs to go somewhere if there's no sub, hence, the automatic setting of fronts to LARGE to accomodate the LFE channel.
Also, after going back into set-up mode and re-setting the sub to ON, the sub output at the receiver is no longer set to it's previously calibrated setting and needs to be readjusted as well.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks