1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo 595 remote...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_Jones, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo 595 and am using it for all viewing, including broadcast television. My TV is a 32" Toshiba and I'm normally running the Onkyo in PLII or Stereo for viewing. My thing is, is that using the 595 remote if I change to the TV setting and change channels/whatever I often change volumes as channels come in a bit variable at times. But...the volume buttons on the TV setting default to the TV and not the receiver. I was thinking the only way to get by this would be to get another learning remote to essentially have one remote learn the volume up/down of the 595, then send that back into the 595 in TV mode....if that'd work.

Does anyone know of a way to do this other then what I suggested? Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

I had a similar problem with an old remote. (Fortunately, I had two of them.)
    If there's no way to punch the rcvr volume through to the tv buttons, then, sure you can learn it from another remote.
    You don't need another learning remote for this, any decent cheapo one-for-all should be able to emit the onkyo volume up/down commands, or even better, take your remote with you to a place near you that has the onkyo remote and learn it there, using the store remote as the source, so it won't cost you a dime. [​IMG] Worst case is you have to buy a $10 - $15 one-for-all and keep it as a spare.
    -David

3. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Yes, I've encountered the same problem. The thing is that when you're watching TV the buttons you use most are the channel up/down and the volume up/down. So if you can get both of those onto the same remote setting then you'll be fine.

My first thought was to copy the receiver-volume buttons to some unused buttons on the TV setting. But this would only work if you had another 595 remote to learn the receiver-volume buttons from. It can't punch through or learn the buttons from itself.

Instead I copied the TV-channel-up and TV-channel-down buttons onto the receiver setting of the remote. I copied them to the buttons which are typically used for next-CD-track and previous-CD-track since they don't seem to have any use for the receiver. So once the TV is on I switch over to the receiver setting and use this setting to control both the volume and channel. If I need to do anything more complicated to the TV then I just switch back to the TV setting.

4. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestions guys. When I go home in a couple days I'm going to grab a Yamaha learning remote that will hopefully be able to capture the vol up/down on the Onkyo remote. I've got channel up/down on the receiver set to change the TV channels so that's good...just I'm one of those that go to specific channels by typing in the numbers...

So I guess another learning remote will do it (hopefully)!

5. David X

David X Stunt Coordinator

That should work fine, especially if you have one and don't have to spend any money for it. Let us know how it goes.

-David