Onkyo 595 problems with LFE out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkMac, Mar 6, 2002.

1. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

OK,OK, this is my first post and maybe it should be over in the receiver section, but it's a subwoofer related question so I figured I'd throw it out to all you bass-heads. Currently, I have an Onkyo 595 with Klipsch Quintets and a Klipsch KSW-12. I know a few other people with the same sub and different receiver, and their KSWs sounds so much better than mine. I've got an SPL meter, and have the the sub set about +6db higher than the rest of the speakers. Any thoughts? I've read a few horror threads about the LFE out on the Onkyo, and I'm wondering if that is my problem, but does that even make sense if I'm dialed in correctly on the meter?

Second reason I'm asking this question is that I am (and have been for a couple months) seriously considering an SVS 20-39CS. Now, I'm looking at the 20-39PCi, and I want to make sure I'm not going to have problems with my receiver. I've already discussed the possibility of mating the SVS with my current receiver and speakers with Tom V, and he didn't seem to have any concerns, but I hadn't mentioned my current Sub issues to him. Thanks.

2. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I set up a friend's HT with a 595 and JBL PB-12 sub, no issues with LFE channel.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Yes, the internal tones on the 595 are messed up. But actually Vince has it backwards. The internal tone for the subwoofer is about 10-12dB to high. So if you use that to calibrate then your calibration will compensate for that and you'll end up 10-12dB low. Then when you play some DVD or other source where the LFE signal is not artificially boosted 10dB it is apparent that your setting is way too low.

So its kinda confusing but the internal sub tone is too high which makes you calibrate too low. The other tones might be off by a dB or so from each other, but that's not really a problem when compared with the gross error on the sub tone.

The solution? You could use Avia or Video Essentials or even THX Optimode (which is not perfect but is included on many DVD's). But the easiest is to adjust the sub until you're happy. Calibrating flat is just a starting point. Lots of folks, myself included, like to run the sub a few dB's hot anyway.

5. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

I can confirm Ryan's conclusions. I just calibrated my 595/S1000/20-39CS+ two nights ago and saw the same thing. In short, the 595's subwoofer pink noise generator is completely inaccurate. Use Avia's.

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

If you're stuck using the 595's internal tones, calibrating to 80dB on the speakers and 90dB for the sub should pretty much match using Avia at 85dB for all channels. Just so you know...

7. MarkMac

Ok, thanks for the responses. I don't have a setup DVD except for ones with the THX Opti...whatever, but I'll give that a shot and post what I find. Thanks, again.

8. MarkMac

Yep, you were right. When I used the DVD, the sub measured in about 8db below what I thought it was set at. Big difference. I'd sill like to upgrade to an SVS, but the Klipsch sounds better than it used to. Thanks.