What's new

Onkyo 595 problem? (1 Viewer)

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Had a strange thing happen last night. I came home, picked up the remote, hit ON, and nothing happened. Worked fine on the TV. I tried pushing the Stanby/On button on the receiver, and still no reaction. I had to power the unit down all the way before the stanby/On button and remote would work again. The receiver had lost all my settings for speaker distance, level, configuration, and the Power On Volume level adjustment had gone. Lucky for me, working with computers has taught me to write down settings and important data. ;) The unit worked fine after that.
Last week the power went out for about three hours, and none of my setting was lost, so I'm wondering what the deal is. :confused:
Anybody have this happen to them? I've had this receiver since mid December last year with no problems.

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
Can't say I've ever had that problem, Jerry, and I've had my 595 since last May. Only problem I've ever had with it was with "popping" on the DTS track of The Contender.

Somewhat off-topic: what was with the trend of recommending against the 595 as a good value receiver in the last three months? I have nothing but praise for mine - great sound, a plethora of features, ample power, and reliability - and when I was receiver shopping, it was one of the "best buys" (along with the Denon 1801(-2?) and the Outlaw 1050). I realize that a lot more companies started implementing DPLII since then, but did anything else change that could lead to such negative opinions, besides the imminent release of the 600? Just curious ...

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I had a 595 for a while and really liked it- although I do not have enough experience with it to comment on the original question at the beginning of the thread. But based on my experience, I don't know why there would be a lot of recommendations against it. Sounds really good- clean- if not clinical. Perhaps that is a weakness? I do like a little bit of "color" to the sound myself. But, all in all a good unit.

Cheers

Andrew Ballew

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I think the anti-595 movement was mostly a result of the encoding problems with Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3. For some reason a lot of people on this site associate this problem most closely with Onkyo. This is despite the fact that many other receivers (Denon and Outlaw to name a couple) have exhibited the problem and some 595 owners do not have the problem. I don't get any audio dropouts in the DD track of PH on my 595.

End rant.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
I think the 595 got a bad rap.. the 2 that i demoed at cc both had the drop out problem... so in my mind that is a defect.. now if everyother reciever out there did the same thing, then I could understand.. but not every reciever had the audio dropouts.. anyway i think the onkyo 600 is going to be an excelent machine.. wonder if its dts es discrete or matrix.. hrmm.. ony a few more weeks to wait. :)
jim

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
I think the anti-595 movement was mostly a result of the encoding problems with Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3.
Wow, maybe the 595s are prone to developing a sense of good taste and refusing to play crappy movies, as in, "Great, an overblown Bruckheimer flick - let's see if they still want to watch it when I drop every fourth bit from the audio track." ;)

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I have the drop out with JP III using DD 5.1. DTS is fine. I heard it also has something to with what kind of DVD player you are using. Other than that I like mine fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks