Onkyo 595 or Harmon Kardon 310

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex_Santos, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

Im debating which receiver to pick up. Ive read all the reviews about the onkyo but havent heard much about the HK. They are pretty comparable in build quality with the HK having a few more features. Im only going to have a beginner system so I don't need absolutely everything but I do prefer the look of the HK. I pretty much need advice. The force has lead me here. My ears are yours masters.

2. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Alex; I have the 595. This is my 1st HT setup, so I don't have a lot of experience to impart, but this unit sounds much better that the Technics unit I had. I listen with headphones late when I come home from work, and can really tell the difference. This unit sounds so much richer, even at 75w versis 100w of the old receiver. The set up is very user friendly, and the remote is nice. The other unit that I was looking at was the Denon 1802, but I couldn't find it at the price I could get the 595 at, so I went with the 595. They both had very good sound. I am happy with this unit.

Sorry, but I didn't listen to the HK unit.

3. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Alex, I have the 595 and am very happy with it. Very user friendly and good remote. There is actually a pletora of good receivers in the $500ish range. The 595, Outlaw 1050, Denon 1802 and the HK maybe as well, though I am not that familiar with it. I would say buy on features and price, since they are all going to sound very similar. I also have a Denon 1602 and I can not detect any audible difference between it and the 595. Cheap Home Theater has reviews of most of these receivers.
    Regards, Nick
    http://www.cheaphometheater.com/

4. Alex_Santos

Alex_Santos Second Unit

I dont think that im going to go with the 310 because it doesnt have dpl2.

5. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

The 320 has Logic 7 (2 modes 'theater and music') which is similar if not arguably better. The 310 has been replaced by the 320.