Onkyo 595 or Denon 1802 ....?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Sharp, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Chris Sharp

Chris Sharp Agent

Hi all,
    I have been following this message forum for a couple months now and this is my first post. I am looking for some advice concerning my upcoming HT purchase. I am looking to spend about $1500 total for the receiver and 5.1 surround speakers. For the receiever, I am leaning towards the Onkyo 595 right now. My dad recently got one and I was very impressed. A friend of mine however recommended the Denon 1802. The review on Cheap Home Theater (www.cheaphometheater.com) said the Denon 1802 was slightly better sounding than the Onkyo 595. However, it went on to mention that the remote for the Denon was its greatest downfall. I really like the remote on the Onkyo and would like to use one remote to control everything. I am also now wondering if I should just wait and get the Onkyo 600 when it comes out. Any thoughts?
    For the speakers, I have been leaning towards the HTD Level 3's. They look like a great deal for the money. And from what I have read I would probably substitute the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer since everyone says the HTD subwoofer is not up to par.
    These are just my ideas based on the reviews I have been reading and the prices I have been seeing. Any suggestions or experiences with the above receivers and/or speakers would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has suggestions for a great sounding system under $1500 that would also be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chris[​IMG]

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Wait for the 600. Should be out in April or so...not too long now. If you like the 595 you should love the 600. I have always found that a bad case of 'regrets' can be avoided if you curb the urge to buy right before model changeover. Unless of course you can live without the 600 changes.

3. Robert Marc

Robert Marc Stunt Coordinator

I second paul's reply, I am currently waiting for the 600 to hit the stores myself. I considered the Outlaw 1050, but I want the DPLII for t.v. and v.h.s.. My buddy at a local outlet says they will be in 3/28 and will cost 499.99.

4. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

thats good news.. only a week to go... i did find out today that it will be DTS ES matrix, not discrete.. which comes as no suprise.. now.. is spending $200 more for a yamaha 1200 with DTS ES Discrete worth it?

jim

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

My advise is to look closely at the differences between the 595 and the 600. If you can live with the 595 then you may be able to pick one up for a steal once the 600's hit the shelves. I'd call up J&R every couple of weeks and ask for their lowest price.

The only difference I can recall off the top of my head is 5.1 vs 6.1 but neither has pre-amp outputs. And the 600 only has amplification for one rear center speaker. So if you have your heart set on running 2 rear centers you're out of luck. But either of the Onkyos or the Denon should be terrific. I love my 595.

6. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

I would recommend waiting.

But, if you don't really care about new formats, the HK7000 can be had for under $800 shipped. This was the flagship receiver 1.5 to 2 years ago. It does not do all that the new stuff does, but wow, does it perform. (IMO). Plus, it has a toroidal transformer, which I don't think any of the Denons or Onkyos have (forgive me if I am wrong). This would leave you with ~$700 for the speakers, but I would recommend increasing that to $800 max.

I think that the above will provide you with a formidable system!