ONKYO 595: Opinions please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelly Scott Rickards, Sep 7, 2001.

1. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

For the price, the Onkyo 595 looks very appealing, but I have heard the sound quality/power is not as good as the 575x....is this true?
    While the 595 has features I am looking for like DD/DTS/DPL2, does it also have DRC/Midnight mode?
    Do many recievers in this price range have DRC/Midnight mode?...I really like that feature...
    Any other good sounding/feature rich recivers available for under $500 street price?
    Also, from what I understand, some DPL2 recievers have an adjustable music mode settings in DPL2 and the 595 lacks this. How much do I have to pay to get that feature in DPL2?

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Most of the comments regarding the inferiority of the 595 are purely speculation. This speculation comes from the following:
    * The 595 weighs less than the 575.
    * The 595 has an impedance switch on the back whereas the 575 does not.
    * In one review, measurements of the 696 revealed that it produced less than its advertised power rating. (Something like 46 watts, all channels driven).
    * The 696 also weighs less than its predecessor and has an impedance switch.
    I don't think there is any actual proof that the 595 is inferior. But it could be. www.cheaphometheater.com has compared the 595 and the 575 and found no deficiencies of the new model. I think it was a qualitative comparison since they didn't mention any measurements.
    As for the less-than-flattering measurement results of the 696 ... I wonder if the same measurement was made on the 676. Without this, there is no reference for comparison. And for it to be really meaningful, both measurements would have to have been made on the same setup. If anyone knows that this has been done, I'm sure several of us would be interested. Unfortunately, I don't even remember who did the infamous 696 review.
    BTW, the 595 has "Late Night Mode" which can be set for no, low or high attenuation.
    [Edited last by Ryan Schnacke on September 07, 2001 at 12:57 PM]

3. Vietor

Vietor Stunt Coordinator

I have one, and have yet to reach the limit of its power, but then again I am in a small room. A note about the weight.
    The American and Canadian modles weigh in at 25.4 lbs, and use AC 120 v @ 60Hz
    The otehr models weigh in at 27.6 lbs, and are powered by AC 220v @ 50 Hz, or are switchable between the power standards.
    So the models that can use 220 volt power are as heavy as the older 575x.
    Makes sense to me.

4. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

I have a 595 powering Paradigm Studio 20s, Studio CC Center and Atom surrounds, room size 12x13, carpeted lots of fruniture. It plays as loud as I can stand with no distortion or clipping. I am very please with it. Hope this helps.
    Regards, Nick

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

595 with 4 Polk R10's, CS175i and PSW350 here... Nice clean sound and I haven't been able to stress this receiver yet. Once I got everything calibrated, I was absolutely blown away.

6. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I went from the Onkyo 575x to a Denon 1802 (for right under $500) and have been very happy. There is not a lot of difference between them. The Denon has 80w x 5, the Onkyo 595 has a better remote, both have DPL2. I liked the sound of the Denon better, very "smooth" and "textured" to my ears (just a personal preference). Audition them both if you can. Either would be hard to beat in the $500 and under price range.

7. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

I found the 595 to be too "mellow" for my home theater tastes. I compared it to a Yamaha HTR-5460 in my theater room and found the Yamaha more to my liking but I ultimately went with a Denon 3802 and discovered bliss [​IMG].
    ------------------

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

9. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Thank you very much for your replies....
    Do most entry level recievers from the big boys (Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha)have Late Night Mode/DRC/Midnight Mode?
    Also, what do you call the feature that will enable all TV stations to have the same volume while switching channels or when a loud ass commercial comes on will lower the volume??
    Does the 595 have this feature?
    Again, what is the cheapest reciever(s) with an adjustable music mode in DPL2?

10. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

quote: Do most entry level recievers from the big boys ... have Late Night Mode/DRC/Midnight Mode?[/quote]
    I think so. You can check features on a lot of receivers at www.crutchfield.com
    quote: Also, what do you call the feature that will enable all TV stations to have the same volume while switching channels or when a loud ass commercial comes on will lower the volume?? Does the 595 have this feature? [/quote]
    The feature you're looking for is called dialog normalization. And I think it is currently only available for digital programming. The 595 does not have it. It does have something called "Intellivolume". This allows you to make an automatic volume adjustment between sources. So if you switch from Radio to CD and its twice as loud you can adjust for that.
    Another very nice feature is the ability to set a maximum volume. This can prevent you (or other members of your family) from overdriving the receiver or speakers.
    [Edited last by Ryan Schnacke on September 11, 2001 at 08:52 AM]