What's new

Onkyo 595 is now discontinued.... (1 Viewer)

Corey W

Agent
Miklsan K.....is there any word about the 898 going away? Currently i have been waiting for a week for J&R to ship mine out but they are out of stock and were supposed to get some in end of January but have not as of yet.

Any info on whether they are going out as well or not is appreciated.

Corey W

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I would call JandR and make sure they will be getting some in. You may be waiting until April

Dan Ealey

Grip
Real Name
Dan
In another thread I mentioned looking for a smaller-room (lower watts and $) Onkyo and was referred to the 494 and 595. I can't remember if I heard it from Oade or Onecall, but I know the replacement for the 494 will be a 65 watt unit called the TX SR500...don't know about the 595.

I *was* able to pick up a 595 (ending my search) from Bestaudiovideo.com (refurb) for $324 shipped. I know...taking a chance on a refurb, but it saves several hundred $$ and it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to send back if I *do* have problems.

They're going fast at Bestaudio (try Mike at ext 106) AND Onecall ($336.81 plus $20 shipping..ask for Stephanie).

Regards,

Dan

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Strange that the 595 would be discontinued and unavailable before its replacement is even announced. Seems like the old 575x was in stock many places for a while after the 595 was introduced.

Rhys Frost

Auditioning
Hey Dan,
are you saying OneCall has the 595s for $336.81? :confused: Is that new or refurbished?
I went by Circuit City last night to check on the 595 and as soon as I asked the guy about it, he told me how great it is and how he has one at home and uses it all the time and the world just wasn't complete until the advent of the Onkyo 595. Anyway, he had no idea if it was discontinued or not and didn't seem to know about the audio dropouts (I know it's a software problem) and wouldn't budge on the $480 price tag. I didn't have the energy to talk to him anymore so I left. But I didn't leave the store empty handed. I picked up Commando for $10. :D

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here is an interesting story, well interesting to me at least. I called the Wiz to see if they had any in. They did have some but refused to go down like some PC Richards have. In any case I told them it was discontinued. The guy denied it. He said I was probably confusing it with the 595X. I had no idea there was an X. He said most stores that are telling me about the reciever being discontinued might be confusing it for the X. He also went on to say that the VP of Onkyo was just there and he said no such thing about the 595 or 494. I don't know if he is simply not aware of it or what. Just thought I'd let you all know about it. He also said if I see it at PC Richards for that price, to get it.

Denis K

Agent
Anyone know if the new models are just to supercede the 494 and 595, or will there be updates for the 696 and 797 as well? I think the 696/797 are still relatively new, so they may be around for a while yet.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Miklsan,
Dont hold out on us !! :)
share what you know.. I have a 595 on order that I am about to pull the plug on after reading all this stuff.. Why would the 595 only last 1 year.. Something does not smell right!
jim

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is in that same price range as the 595 there are other recievers that come with more features like DTS-ES, so maybe they feel they have to compete with that

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
For those looking for the 595 (like I was) I thought I'd pass on my adventure. I went to my dealer to purchase my new speakers (take 5.2). I asked him about the 595 and he confirmed that they are on back-order (he wouldn't confirm that it's being replaced). I told him I really didn't want to wait on the 595 and that I might have to go somewhere else and get my second choice the Denon. He offered to sell me his floor model of the Integra 5.2 (basically the same amp as the onkyo 595) for $450.

If you have a dealer you go to that carries the Integra line and tell him you really wanted the 595 but may have to go with another store that can get something in, you may be able to swing a deal on an Integra. I assume you could get a brand new one in the box for $500.

just a thought.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
My guess is in that same price range as the 595 there are other recievers that come with more features like DTS-ES, so maybe they feel they have to compete with that
I thought the 696 was only a 5.1 receiver. No 6th amp, no 6th channel pre-out, right? So at its higher price wouldn't it be even less competitive than the 595 or 494? If DTS-EX/ES and DD-EX were the issue then I'd think the 696 would be the first in line for upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks