Onkyo 595 is now discontinued....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric_M, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

Ok on my quest for a 595, since I have been waiting for overa month from the store to get one, I started to call other places. Most places are experiencing some backorder issues. I called Onkyo and they said stores shouldn't be having a problem but that some stores may be in backorder.

The guy on the phone gave me some authorized Onkyo dealers online to try out. Upon calling bestpriceaudiovideo.com, I was told that they are out of stock and that the 595 and the 494 have been discontinued. The new models will be out in April.

Tomorrow I am caling Onkyo to ask them about this.

2. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

I read somewhere that one of the two Onkyo companies in the States is declaring bankruptcy.

rw

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

4. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Woohoo,this means the 2003 line will be right around the corner....

5. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo America went broke, NOT Onkyo USA, they are two seprate entities and can't be confused with each other, they became separated years ago, so Onkyo owners have nothing to worry about.

6. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I'm with Kelly, I want to know what's going to be in the 2003 line up and what's going to replace the 898! Does anybody have any ideas?

james

7. Corey W

Corey W Agent

Darnit..i hope the 898 hangs around for a little while since i just ordered one last week. Though it has not shipped out yet since www.jandr.com are waiting to get more in. Would be interesting to know what the new models are going to have.
    Corey W

8. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I am not sure about the 898 but I will ask Onkyo tomorrow when I call them. All the lady said was 494 and 595. Now I am not sure if I am going to hold off until April even though I really really need a reciever now or get maybe something else.

In any case when I find out anything from Onkyo I will post what they say.

9. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

I just spoke to someone in products support at Onkyo and now the girl was saying the 595 and 494 are still being made, but they are on backorder. She has no idea about them being discontinued however after asking about newer models, she says they would get released sometime in spring or early fall.

I then asked if by then would the 595 be discontinued and she said that depends on things like whenthe 595 was made etc..

I don't know who to believe. Maybe I will just go out and buy the Denon.

10. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Although the Denon has pre-outs, and slightly more power, I've become highly dependent on my 595's remote... the Denon's just doesn't compare. Of course you can always buy a better remote...

11. Miklsan K

Miklsan K Agent

As I work for an Onkyo retailer, I can tell you that the 494 and 595 are going away. The new 2003 replacement models are due out around April. Unfortunately, I can't divulge a lot of detail. Suffice to say, Onkyo has come up with some great performing products with great feature packs at very reasonable prices. Good listening!

12. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Well I hope Onkyo has a product or two to go against all these affordable 6 channel DTS ES decoding recivers due out soon....

13. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Mike__D, I once owned the Onk 595, now I have a Denon 3802, and you are right, the Onk remote blows the Denon out of the water. Unfortunately, you can NOT always buy a better remote, because of the way the Denon is designed.

On the Denon remote, if I want to switch a source, this is what I have to do.

Say I've been watching television and now I want to watch a DVD. I have to push the RECEIVER button, then I have to push the BOTTOM DVD button to switch to that sound input, then I have to push the TOP DVD button in order to control the DVD player, then if need to navigate through a DVD menu, I have to push the TOP DVD button again to switch over to the DVD menu option. Try doing this in the dark, with the identically shaped and unlit bottom buttons, and you'll see what a hassle it is. It is almost like Denon is trying to punish you for something.

Yes, I could buy a different universal remote, but I believe the Denon will STILL make me go through the above steps, simply because it is hardwired that way (if I'm wrong, someone please let me know.)

By the way, I've tried screwing with the macros on the Denon remote and they don't solve the above problem, because whenever you turn your system on, it defaults to whatever the last sound source was, regardless of how you program a macro.

14. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Yeah one of the main things I admit that made me choose the Onkyo over the Denon was the interface and remote. The onkyo is much better. True the Denon has the pre outs but I can live without them I believe.

In any case maybe I will hold off on the onkyo 595 now unless I can get it at a good price. If not I may just wait until April now to see what the new Onkyos have to offer. Though it will be hard waiting yet another 3 months for a receiver.

hey Miklsan, thanks for the info regarding the Onkyo. I don't know why onkyo could not admit to this or maybe the girl on the phone just didn't know.

15. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Eric, a friend of mine recently ordered an Onkyo 595 from J&R (they told him they're expecting a shipment of 300 of them). We decided to take a ride to P.C. Richards today during lunch (in Union, NJ) and they had one 595 in stock. The salesman said it was on sale for $400. We mentioned that J&R's price (with a price match) was $360 + $25 for shipping. It took him no more than 2 minutes to get approval from his manager to sell it for $360. After tax, my friend actually got it for a few dollars less than J&R's price (with shipping). [​IMG]
    Seeing that you're from NJ I thought I'd mention it to you....as I said, even without the deal the price wasn't bad at $400. Good luck!
    Vin

16. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Vin,

Hey. Thanks for the advice. Your friend is lucky that he not only got a good deal, but he may have purchased the very last one.

I called the Union one and they said they had none left other than the floor model. I called all the other PC Richards in the area as well and a couple said they had floor models only and they'd sell it for $400. That's a bit much for the floor model.

I wonder if JandR will really get them in.

17. Rhys Frost

Rhys Frost Auditioning

I just talked to JandR today and they said they're not getting any more 595s. [​IMG] So I canceled my order. Now I have speakers and a sub on the way with no receiver. [​IMG] Life is rough some times. [​IMG]

18. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Rhys,

If it makes you feel any better, I am in the same predicament. I too have speakers on order and now no reciever. The speakers are sitting at the store though. What speakers did you order if you don't mind me asking?

19. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

Here's an interesting thread I found at The Home Theater Spot .
    Basically the guy in that thread called Onkyo Sales and confirmed that the 595 is discontinued and that new models would be coming out in April 2002.
    I barely managed to get my 595 before all the stores started running out of them... I had ordered my Speaker/Receiver setup from J&R as well, but they went out of stock for the 595. I just went over to Circuit City and got it from them instead... they still had some in stock in the Seattle area stores as of yesterday. I managed to get a good deal from them too; they reduced the price from $499 to $449, and that I would also be able to upgrade/exchange it to the new model for free when it comes out (because I complained about the DD5.1 problems with JP3/PH/Atlantis DVD's). In all I got pretty lucky, and the sales guy who arranged it for me was great.

20. Rhys Frost

Rhys Frost Auditioning

Hi Eric,
    I ended up getting the JBL NSP1 and the sony WM40 sub. I got the speakers today and the sub should be here early next week. Just trying to piece together my first home theater so I didn't want to go too expensive.
    I was debating between the 595 and Denon 1802 but it seems tough to find either. I'll keep looking, there's got to be one somewhere. [​IMG]