Onkyo 595 crossover frequency

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Hi all, does anyone know what the crossover frequency for the 595 is? What is it when you set the speakers to small and large? I assume it raises the crossover when you set your speakers to small?
    I'm curious, because since I got this reciever, my sub (JBL PB-10) didn't seem to be present as much, I had to increase the level on the sub to get it back where it was. Keep in mind I'm now using LFE as opposed to running it with the main speaker wires. In that mode, I was able to adjust the crossover on the sub. With LFE, it's not used anymore.
    Thanks!
    Mike D.

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

80Hz.

3. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The crossover on the 595 is 80hz, and I believe the slope is 12db per octave. You need to set the crossover on your sub as high as it will go (in case your LFE input is still being filtered) and set all speakers to small. You'll also need to set the subwoofer level with a calibration disc such as Avia or Video Essentials, because the test tone for the subwoofer on the 595 is about 10db too low (or if you lack a calibration disc, just bump the sub level by 8-10db and it should be pretty close).

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Thanks Bryan & Jeremy!
    You'll have to excuse me Jeremy, but what do you mean by "the slope is 12db per octave"?
    Also, is the crossover 80Hz when the speakers are set to small? What is it when they are set to large? I currently have my center (JBL N-Center) and surrounds (old Advent mini's, which do an amazing job now with the 595) set to small, and my main's (JBL N-38 floorstanding) set to large. I'm wondering if I should set them to small? Their frequency response is 45Hz - 20kHz, so I was thinking they'd be best utilized set to large.
    I still need to buy a Radio Shack sound meter, but I used VE to calibrate them by ear (which isn't very accurate).
    Thanks again!
    Mike D.

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

6. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Ok, I think I understand now. Thanks Ryan.
    I guess I'll just experiment after I properly set the levels for my speakers.
    Mike D.

7. Jeremy Anderson

If your mains are set to large and center/surround set to small, then it will redirect bass from the center and surround to your mains using the 80hz crossover, and the subwoofer will ONLY be used for LFE. Now, if ALL speakers were set to large, each would handle its own bass and the crossover would not be utilized at all. But you don't want to do that unless each speaker is capable of reproducing the full 20Hz-20KHz range of frequencies.
    If the frequency response of your mains is only 45Hz-20KHz, you should probably set all your speakers to small and let the sub handle all the redirected bass, because you'll have a gap in bass response (20Hz-45Hz) if you don't. Also, setting your speakers to small frees up the power previously used for bass reproduction and will give you more headroom for sudden transient sounds. You DEFINITELY need to get an SPL meter to set your sub and speaker levels though. You won't believe how inaccurate your ear is at balancing these levels. I think you'll be EXTREMELY happy with that setup... I've got my 595 hooked to an all-Polk Audio setup, and it sounds incredible.

8. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

9. Jeremy Anderson

Gotta' disagree with you Vin... Receivers that don't have the main/sub/both option redirect bass from small center and surrounds to the mains if they're set to large. The only time the sub is used for redirected bass is if all speakers are set to small. At least, that's the Dolby standard... I don't know if the Onkyo is different, as I've never set mine to large.
    And regardless of that, a speaker rated at 45Hz-20KHz shouldn't be set to large, so it's a moot point.