What's new

Onkyo 595... Audio Dropouts... Should I return Onkyo... (1 Viewer)

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
I know this has be discussed non-stop for at least a few days... Yesterday I officially tried JP3 and PH on my Pannisonic VR56 and my Onkyo 595 and I got audio dropouts... Well all I have to say that the wind is out of my sail on my new system...

I just got the unit 2 weeks ago and I was nothing but happy untill last night... Does anyone know if it has anything to do with the OPT cable (the telephone cable looking thing)? Having a pannisonic, I have no choice but to hook it up using that fiberoptic cable, so I obviously can't tell if the cable might be causing these problem seeing I can't test the other type of digital connection... But what I am getting out of this is that it's the encoding that was done at the studio... But I am feeling very uneasy seeing Onkyo has made a statement... and Dolby has made a statement... And now what?

I know I'm sounding impatient... But after spend $1100 two weeks ago I'm wondering if I should raise a stink at the audio store I bought the stuff and return the Onkyo... But if I do that, what would I get? A Denon 1802? Kenwood VR509? Or just return it, listen the DVD though the TV untill I know the Onkyo is fixed and go buy a new one? I didn't totally like the Denon... And I finally got myself to try somthing besides Kenwood and I love the sound of the Onkyo so much I am very much uneasy to go back to Kenwood being that I am concered that I might loose that nice warm sound that I am getting...

I'm sure I can hold out to see, and somone will finally fix the problem and I will be offered a update for either my Onkyo Reciever, or my Pannisonic DVD Player, or who knows, maybe it all comes down to updated DVD's being released...

Really, what would you guys do? Should I just try a new DVD player? Try a new receiver? Or wait a see what is going to happen? It's just to bad that this issue wasn't out before I bought...

Thanks!!!

Bill

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
There seems to be too many inconsistencies to know where the problem lies. I suspect the problem may be with the DVD player since I've seen many Panasonic owners complain of dropouts, but several Toshiba owners (myself included) have no problems. Anybody with a Toshiba DVD player have this problem?

Michael_T

Second Unit
I think that alot of people are starting to jump the gun a bit with regard to this problem.

My understanding is that the DTS bitstream on these discs (the 2 that exhibit this problem so far) that are causing the audio dropouts is fine - so why not just use the DTS soundtrack (which probably sounds better anyway).

From reading these posts it appears that many other companies receivers have also had some issues with dropouts on the Dolby Digital soundtracks of the same exact discs.

The fact that Onkyo is upfront in issuing a press release indicates that they are ontop of the issue, although it may not be resolved quickly or to the expectations of the users of their products.

I own an Integra 6.2 (which is similiar to the Onkyo 696), but I have yet to experience any problems (but then again I won't be watching either Pearl Harbor or JP3 - as they are movies that just do not interest me).

My suggestion is to hold onto the Onkyo - it is probably a better product than the Kenwood you speak of, and I have been reading that certain dropout problems may also be occuring on certain Denon models also.

I know it can be disconcerting to spend a considerable amount of money, and not have it be perfect. But with digital media (DVD Players, CD players, SACD players, DVD-Audio players, Computers) there are always issues that are sometimes easily rectified, and others that there is no easy solution.

If you really are that upset by this situation, or are so uncertain about what the future might bring with regard to this problem and future DVD-Video discs, give yourself peace of mind. Return the unit (Onkyo) before it is too late, and get what will make YOU happy. Ultimately you are the one who has to live with the decision you make. There will be no guarantee, that just because the Onkyo is showing a problem now, that whatever you trade to won't show the same or different problem in the future with other discs.

Good luck in your decision.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Bill, just look about 11 threads down and you will see a thread on your receiver titled "Onkyo595 audio drop out, should I worry?" with at least 16 posts in it.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It seems like the culprit is with the disc rather than any of your components. Try playing JP3 in French DD 5.1. Then as well in DTS. If I guess right you will not have a problem with either one. Therefore the problem will be the English DD 5.1.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, let me get this straight.. Last night I was playing PH and JP3... After DD was dropping out, I went to the main menu, and changed it to DTS... After I did that NO SOUND... Then I had to change some settings on my Onkyo, and then it seemed to play sound (I don't know if I restarted the DVD or not)...

Let me get this straight (seeing I am a new to the 595)... DD uses the Fiberoptic cable to play audio... and DTS uses the Analog RCA cables? Can I play DTS using the Digital cables?

Can I set this on the Onkyo 595 so if the DVD player is sending DTS sound that it automaticly plays using the RCA and when I do the DD signal it automatically plays thru the Digital audio cable...

Thanks!

Bill

Michael_T

Second Unit
Let me get this straight (seeing I am a new to the 595)... DD uses the Fiberoptic cable to play audio... and DTS uses the Analog RCA cables? Can I play DTS using the Digital cables?
Yes DD uses the optical digital output to send its bitstream signal to your Onkyo 595, but so should the DTS bitstream. I assume that you must have your DVD player set-up so that you have DTS bitsteam set to OFF. Check your DVD players set-up menu and make sure you also have DTS bitstream set to ON - and your problems should be solved.

There is no way DTS uses the analog RCA cables for 2 channel. The only signal that would be coming from your anlaog RCA cables is either downsampled DD or DTS (that your Onkyo would process only as DPL2). On the other hand if your DVD player has built in DD and DTS decoders and you hooked up your DVD player with 5 analog RCA cables from the 5.1 output to the 5.1 input on the Onkyo, you can send the already processed signal through those 5.1 analog outputs on your DVD player (if they in fact exist) and have them input into the Onkyo 595 5.1 multichannel analog inputs as I stated - and then you will get whatever signal your DVD player is decoding when you select multichannel input on the Onkyo.

But my feeling is that you don't have DTS bitstream set ON in your DVD players set-up menu - allowing both the DD and the DTS bitstream to be output through your optical cable - thus allowing the Onkyo to autosense the incoming digital signal and processing it accordingly.

Check it out - I think I might be correct.

Bill Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael_T -

I will check when I go home tonight... I am using a Panisonic RV56... I assume to set the DTS bitsteam set to OFF it should be fairly easy... If that is the case, and everything plays fine... I will keep all my current toys, but I will notify the place that I bought it from that I am a little disapointed and that as soon as a solution is avalable that I want the fix / update for any equipment... hopfully it's just the DVD's...

Bill

Michael_T

Second Unit
Bill,

Actually, the DTS setting could be set to OFF, PCM or Bitstream - It really depends on your DVD-Player.

What you want to make sure is that it is set to ON for DTS BITSTREAM. If it is set to PCM, merely change the option for PCM for DTS to Bitstream and you should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks