Onkyo 595 and Samson S1000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyHK, Feb 24, 2002.

1. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

I'm trying to get a feel for whether I'm likely to encounter troubles with the sub-out level on my Onkyo 595 when mated to a Samson S1000 to drive a 20-39CS+. Anyone using this config? Any troubles?

Thanks,

John

2. JohnnyHK

Anyone? [​IMG]

3. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

You shouldn't have any troubles. When I was trying out receivers I didn't have any problems with an S700.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have a new 16-46+ and S1000 hooked up to my 595. yes i had problems with the sub not performing as well as i had expected. it was outperformed by my former 25-31PC in all regions but extension.
    however, i have ordered a BFD to try and tweak my sub a little. there are some setup differences i encountered, mainly: 1) i ran the main speakers (bookshelf JBL N24's) through the PC's built-in crossover (all speakers set to 'small' too), 2) i also had the sub connected to the 595's pre-out, and 3) i used Direct mode to listen to all my music. now, i just have the sub getting signal from the pre-out. the receiver is now crossing everything over at ~80Hz i think (speakers still 'small'), but to get this i have to listen in Stereo mode. because the receiver is now processing the signal, i think i'm losing the volume i had when letting the PC do the crossover because of the receiver's interference.
    basically, i think it's an Onkyo processing problem that could be fixed by adding an ICBM. unfortunately, the 595 does not offer pre-outs, so i couldn't use one as a universal bass-manager. that would solve so many problems! [​IMG]
    let me stress that movies are fine, and even better now than with my PC sub. if i could skip the receiver's processing the signal, i think everything would be ok. but since there's no other way to get a sub-80Hz signal to the subwoofer, i think i'm stuck switching subwoofer calibration volumes every time i want to switch from music to movies.
    i think Tom/Ron are very close to a signal-boosting 'black box' being available, so stay tuned to www.svsubwoofers.com [​IMG]

5. JohnnyHK

Thanks for the info Thomas. So are you able to properly calibrate the sub level through the 595? What sub levels did you end up with for movies and music?

6. JohnnyHK

Just a quick update for other folks that might be in the same situation (or just curious). I went ahead and ordered the S1000 and 20-39CS+ and it arrived yesterday. I calibrated it last night (with Avia) and had no trouble at all reaching the calibration levels. I think I actually ended up with the sub level on my 595 at 0 and the input gain on the S1000 at unity. I'll try and post a review later, but suffice it to say that I'm all smiles...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I'm glad to hear that it works... since I'll have the same setup next week. Thanks!