Onkyo 595 and SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

For those that have both I thought I'd pass along some information. I was concerned that because there was no analog bypass anywhere to be found on the receiver that I was losing some SACD quality. So I emailed Onkyo and got prompt replies to my questions. Basically in response to asking about the analog/pcm listening mode they said: "It does not make a difference on our unit. It is a direct pass through of audio through multi-channel on our unit." So the analog/pcm listening mode that you choose will only affect regular cds it seems. So as long as you put it in multichannel mode for SACD, it will bypass everything. Just thought I would share the wealth.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Allen, Onkyo's response is a bit vague, but I think I get it. The 5.1-channel inputs on receivers bypass the internal A/D and D/A converters by default. The real issue is whether a receiver has analog bypass for the stereo analog inputs. Apparently, the 'DS595 doesn't. However, you can use the 5.1-channel inputs for playback of CDs, SACDs, and/or DVD-Audio discs without worrying about signal degradation through extraneous processing.

3. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

So what exactly are the stereo analog inputs for? Is that for analog cd listening or possible television if I had them hooked up to the inputs? Would it be important to have analog bypass for the inputs?

I'm glad to know that my SACD isn't being degraded anymore by the receiver. I can stop messing with the analog/pcm listening mode now too =)