What's new

Onkyo 595 and 4 ohm speaker question (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Ok my new center arrived today (LSiC) and it is rated at 4 ohms BUT I emailed Polk and they told me that it actually averages around 6 ohms. On the back there is a ohm switch. One is for 6 ohms and above and the other is for 4 ohms and above. Now since it averages about 6 then it must also be lower. Should I place it at 4 ohms and above or 6 ohms and above. Any thoughts?

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Try the 6ohms position first. When you switch it to 4ohm, it lowers the actual power output in order to keep the amp from getting to hot... I had an onkyo 494 and ran it with 4 ohms speakers for about 6hours a day every day for about 5 months without a single problem. If the amp cuts out on you in thew 6ohm position, you could always try the 4ohm position, but don't expect it ot be any louder.
Later

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Ok now I'm really confused. When I shipped my previous center channel (Polk CS400i) off I just took out the banana plugs from the back and I haven't even turned my system on until today when the new center arrived. I hook up the new center and the receiver won't turn on. I hit power button a few times but it won't come on. Then I turn the power off to the whole receiver (the other button is actually called standby or something). Power it back up and it turns on. Only now all my settings are lost. Ok I can just recalibrate everything. Try to use Dolby Prologic II and I'm only getting sound out of the center channel. Weird. I switch to stereo and my mains work. Ok so I power down and flip the switch to 4 ohms or higher. Power back up, same thing is happening. Pop in a DVD, receiver picks up dolby digital stream, sound only coming from mains. Surrounds have not been heard at all. I'm at a loss as to what is going on. Anyone have any clues?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks