1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo 575X questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Serbaniewicz, Jul 13, 2001.

1. John Serbaniewicz

John Serbaniewicz Auditioning

CC was not able to fix my Pioneer 507S, an old DD ready receiver, so I was able to exchange it no charge, for a new 575X. I would have had to pay the additional $200 for a 595X. While it would have been nice to have DPLII, this receiver(575X) is certainly much better than the Pioneer. Spending an additional $200 at CC, vs going out and buying an additional unit online, was the trade-off. i.e. spend some more beyond the 200, but have two decent units.
    Only hooked up the CD and stereo speakers, and read most of the manual last night. I do have a couple of questions that I didn't find in the manual, and on operation. I think they have been in the forum before, but didn't find it in a quick search/sweep.
    - What is the internal crossover point to sub when speakers are set to small? I think it is 80Hz, but would like to know for sure.
    - Can the sub crossover be used for 2 channel analog sources? How to set-up, if it can.
    - Volume adjustment. This has one of those infinite turning knobs, with a digital scale from zero to 80. I don't get a decent volume to around 40. I think this is because it is a linear taper vs audio taper, but would like to get confirmation. Small changes above 40, make significant perceived volume changes. Just trying to make sure it is not a set-up or defective unit.
    From the little 2 channel listening I did last night, it does seem to give the sound a little more "umpf" in the low end, and slightly cleaner sound, overall. How is that for real meaningful discription :) But, to be fair my Pioneer has been away for awhile and not an A B comparison.
    I am sure as I start hooking-up the rest of the system, I will have additional questions. Time to clean-up that rats nest of wires.

2. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yeah, the crossover's 80hz. 18db/oct. low-pass, 12db/oct. high-pass.

4. John Serbaniewicz

That was quick! Thanks for the responses.
    I thought I saw something about an analog direct mode, too. It might be a 595X feature and not the 575X. Those were the two specs I had poured through yesterday.
    Thanks again. I will let you know, if more issues/questions come-up.

5. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

losing brain cells by the minute i guess.
    can't recall if my ol' 575 had a Direct mode or not .. can't say for sure either if the 575x changed it or it never had one .. the 777 i had definitely had it for sure though.
    Heard they changed the remote a little with the new 595.. I'd say the 575x is still the best buy cuz it's remote is fully backlit, 575 was not, and it has banana's all around. Just intrigued by the increased dynamic power ratings of the 595 over the 575x.. couldn't care less about DPL-II.
    anyone dumping their 575x in favour of the 595.. gimme a call.. i'll buy one just to gift it to someone!
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

You made a great choice, the 575x is a great mid priced reciever "the best in it's class". I've had mine since last October and it's been a pleasure to say the least !

7. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

The x-over, etc. responses are correct, and let me add one other thing to relieve your mind. There is some speculation that the newer Onkyo's(those with a 9 as the middle number) don't use as robust an amplifier array as the older ones did.
    Several things point to that: They weigh less, and they now have an impedance switch, indicating that maybe they can't drive low impedance speakers as well. But then again, maybe they weigh less for a good reason, and the switch is a good thing. There was a long thread about this topic a few weeks ago.
    I have been thrashing my 575X for about a year now. It sounds great, and never seems to run out of steam. Enjoy it.

8. John Serbaniewicz

John-D, I saw those numbers too. Dynamic power was twice the 8 ohm figure, for 4 ohm. That is usually a good thing. Maybe larger power supply filter caps?
    anothony_b, Thanks. For $315 at CC (cost of 507S plus remainder of extended coverage), I don't think there was anything else that came close. They had a Sony DE945, for same, but no HKs in range. The weight/size of the unit, and those nice big cast heatsinks, I never looked back at the Sony. :) I have the standard 30 day eval policy, but outside of any failures, I think it will be staying.
    PS: Full $ refund to go elsewhere was not an option.

9. John Serbaniewicz

Remote question: Is the 575X remote ONLY a learning remote? i.e. no brand codes to get most of the functions, and just learn a few. I can't see programming all those keys, from all those remotes. Is it time for a Cinema 6 or equivelent?