onkyo 501 cuts off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by jimGann, Jan 24, 2005.

1. jimGann

jimGann Auditioning

Hello all...I'm a newbie and I admit it. I have home theater system with Onkyo 501 receiver, Bose center speaker, Velodyn subwoofer, older yamaha bookshelf speakers, and Bose 201 using as rear speakers. System sounds pretty good to me even though I realize it is not top of the line...however, my problem is that receiver sporadically turns off when volume is at high level. I have checked speaker connections for short, and do not have any loose strands of wire touching each other or receiver chassis. Speaker wire has been spliced, but is covered with electrical tape at splice. Receiver is set for 6 ohms...there is 4 ohm option. After researching this cite, it seems short is likely problem most people mention, but I do not believe I have short anywhere. Heard someone mention spliced speaker wire may be cause, but is this so if splice is properly covered with elec. tape? Should I try setting receiver to 4 ohm option even though all of my speakers are 6 or 8 ohm? Anyone have any suggestions? What about pre-amp....can pre amp be used on Onkyo receiver, and would this help if receiver is cutting off from being overdriven? Again, hope my questions aren't too dumb..thanks for any help.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Does it shut off when a loud passage occurs or during normal playback? Does it do it in stereo also or only with all channels going? 4 ohm option will probably not help because your speakers will still draw the same amount of current. A preamp will sound better, but is highly unlikely to solve your problem. If it's being overdriven you would want an external amp not a preamp, but this receiver does not have preamp outs.

Try disconnecting all the speakers, then reconnecting certain ones to see if you still have the same problem. It may be a particular speaker or one of the wires causing the problem. If not, you are simply asking too much volume from this receiver with the speakers you are using.

Do you have your speakers set to small?

3. jimGann

jimGann Auditioning

main speakers set to large..I will change all to small...thanks for suggestions! I will also change to 4 ohm setting if this will not hurt anything, even though you have advised it probably won't help.I am right that it won't hurt anything aren't I?

4. John S

John S Producer

Then try removing the Bose and see how it does.

A blown tweeter anywhere in the system can cause this as well.

Ventalation can cause it too, as well as just a defective AVR too....

Take it back to just 2 channel stereo and see if it will stay on, of course crank it to rediculous, this will help to start to narrow it down some at least.

5. jimGann

jimGann Auditioning

Ok, I will try changing out speakers two at a time with a pair from another system....if tweeter in one speaker is blown, wouldn't I be able to tell from the sound of that speaker? If speaker sounds normal, can tweeter still be blown?

6. John S

John S Producer

Not always so easy to tell. Plus it can be intermittent, and only represent blown upon higher volume stresses.

I'd take it to two channel, crank it. If it stays one, add the center do it again, then add the rears and do it again.

Really hard to say what is going on. If it does it in 1 channel, then the AVR may be deffective.