1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Onkyo 494 Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Miller, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

The last two nights, when watching DVD's, my Onkyo receiver has shut off about halfway through each movie. The whole display goes dark, the receivers standby mode LED blinks and that's about it. I can turn it back on and watch the rest of the movie without a problem.

Nothing about the setup has changed except that my wife moved the sub so that it now sits in the right corner, about a foot from the system. This didn't happen before she moved the sub. No outlet changes, all the cables look intact and fine, it's well ventilated with a foot behind and the receiver at the top of the open stand with nothing above it.

I gather this may be Onkyo's protect mode kicking in, though there's barely a mention in the manual about protect mode other than it exists. I'm waiting for a reply from them. In the meantime, I was hoping someone might have some thoughts/experience as to what might be causing this?

2. MichaelLT

MichaelLT Auditioning

I have the same unit and nothing like that has happened to me. What level do you run yours at when you are watching a DVD?

3. Bo D.

Bo D. Extra

Sounds like its time for an upgrade[​IMG]

4. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

Michael, do you mean volume? If so, only 30 or so.

Still waiting for Onkyo to respond, if they ever will.

Bo, I'm thinking about it!