Onix Rockets and ACI Sapphires....Impressions???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter $ Jay, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Peter $ Jay

Peter $ Jay Extra

Greetings:

I am overhauling my HT system and in the market for new speakers. On another forum, members have been singing the praises of 2 speakers in particular....Onix Rockets and ACI Sapphires. Speakers from both of these companies are sold only via Internet-direct so their models rarely get formal reviews by "official" publications. However, the information I have been able to gather suggests these speakers are excellent...not just a good value, but better than most anything else close to their respective price. If anyone in this forum is familiar with either of these models, please share.

Thanks.......Peter

2. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

We are over here also....[​IMG] You can't escape.

Most of the ACI and Onix members are at both forums. There isn't much of an ACI following here, and there is a little Onix following. Most of them hang out over 'there'.

The Sapphire IIIs are incredible speakers. After three years they can still send chills through me. If it weren't for the new Sapphires and I wouldn't be upgrading. After three years I not found anything to replace them with (in the

3. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

Peter:

I love ACI gear. I own a pair of Sapphire III LE that replaced Sonus Faber Concertos. I also own a Titan II LE Sub. The integration between the two is perfect! I've also had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with a friend's Force sub. All the ACI products I've tried are absolutely first rate in sound quality and construction. BTW, when I was checking them out I ran across reviews in Stereophile, (original Titan recommended component), Positive Feedback rave of Sapphires and Titan II, Bound for Sound raves of a number of ACI models. I think you can find many of these and other reviews at the ACI site

4. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I'd have to agree that it'd be a hard comparison. If I were doing a 2-channel setup, I'd go Sapphire + sub in a heartbeat over a pair of the 750s. I've had the pleasure to hear both and really liked them, but the Rockets are really geared more toward HT, which I guess is what you're looking for. Also, Onix makes a matching dipole which would be a big plus for me. My friend just got his 750s a couple of days ago(on my recommendation) and has now stated TWICE that "Ya know Ran, I'm pissed at you....I've now been up until 3:00 for two nights in a row because I can't stop listening to these things."...G-d's honest truth.
    I own the ACI Emeralds and really like them as well if ya want little bookshelves. One other brand that merits consideration is GR-Research(gr-research.com, also available from rutledgeaudiodesign.com). Check out their AV-1+ or new AV-3. You can get them custom made and tweaked to your personal preference. Also, the owner(Dan Ritchie) is a great guy to work with.
    Good luck with your decision.

Randy