Onix Ref 1s

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jacob C, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Obviously these must be better than the rocket line. Right? Do these speakers carry the same bang for buck value that the rocket line does? I am considering the ref 1s and was wondering if anyone could compare them to some other speakers that are more common. So far the best speakers I have heard are the Paradigm Signature series. Those things are amazing. Are the Onix Refs in the same league? If so could someone characterize the sound in relation to the sigs for me. I plan on running these without a sub for a while and eventually building them into a HT system if I go with them. Thanks!

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

While there's currently a problem with the site as AV123 changes to a new server, the next to last post here should get you going in the right direction. When it's working it will take you to a shootout that included the Ref 1's, B&W N805 and N805 Sigs and a number of other high end monitors. Most consider them to be another excellent bang for the buck speaker, if you get the Ref 1/SP3 combo its considered a steal.

It's all heresay to me. I'm on the waiting list for their Ref 1.5/I60 combo if the amps ever become available.

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Jacob.. what are your listening habits.. all music or mixed HT and music?

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I would say I am probably 80% music 20% movies. That might mislead you if you don't know that I always have music going. Music is as much a part of my life as waking up in the morning. As far as music goes I listen to just about everything. Everything from punkcore to jazz to folk and everything in between. The only thing that worries me about picking these up is the cost of fleshing out an HT system. I've also considered doing the ref1/sp3 as my music system and doing a separate HT system. That, however, will also be tough on my budget as well. I plan to build my system up piece by piece in order to make it more manage able. I hope to be starting a new job that should up the cash flow a bit. I'm sure there is some good stuff on the AV123 forum. Hopefully it will be back up today. I am also considering Rockets and Ascend Acoustics. I realize these speakers are much cheaper (and hopefully not as good or something is really wrong here) but that ref1/sp3 deal is tough to pass up. Honestly I think I would be happy with something similar in quality to the Paradigm Studios (though I could drool over the Signatures all day) but starting with something better might delay the onset of upgraditis. The polkies over on some polk forum are suggesting that the Polk lsi series is similar to the refs. Sounds crazy to me but I've never heard them. Any comments on that? Thanks!

5. Kevin_Wadsworth

I have Ref 1.5’s (tower version of the Ref 1) as well as Rocket 750’s. Very different speakers, but I wouldn’t necessarily the Ref’s are “better” speakers than the 750’s. Everyone will agree that the Ref’s are more detailed than the Rockets and IMO they give a better image. They lack the midrange punch of the 750’s. For some recordings I miss the extra midrange of the 750’s, but for most msuic I find that I prefer the Ref speakers. Most people recommend Rockets for HT – I’ve used both and I find that I’m not terribly dicriminating with HT and can’t really notice much difference.

On a value epr dollar, the Ref 1’s will certainly stand up to Paradigm monitors, IMO. I haven’t heard B&W’s. As another poster mentioned, the current Ref 1/SP3 deal makes them a phenomenal value. At $1500 they’re a good speaker and a solid contender. At $1K for the speakers plus an amp it’s hard to pass up.

6. Kevin_Wadsworth

I should mention that my musical comments on the Ref 1’s are assuming that a sub is used with the speakers. IMO, even the Ref 1.5’s (which go deeper than the Ref 1’s) do not have enough extension for anything other than pure vocal/choral music.

7. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

ugh, the more I think about it the more I don't think I can afford to flesh out a 5.1 or 7.1 in the reference series. (probably a good $8000, if not more, by the time I get things together)I'm probably closest to going with the ascends. With the refs I would need to drop a lot more into my other components to do them justice. Sure a heck of a deal though....dang. Maybe I need a 2 channel for music. [​IMG] I have a few other financial obligations to fulfill before I can pull the trigger on anything so maybe the Ref 1/sp3 package wont be available at that price. My roommate and I were going to split on some of the HT stuff and I don't think he can justify going as high as the ref line either. When one of us moves out we are going to have to fill the gaps in. I'm just blabbing now.... Thanks for the info, keep the thread going as I am still considering it for music and other may find it useful too.

8. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

You should check out the package special on the 550 Rockets right now! Killer deal and you would love it.

9. Alex Prosak

I don't know what your budget is but you should definitely call the guys before ruling the system out on cost, they can put some great package prices together. While not necessarily cheap, you could put together a good Ref series system for substantially less than $8k. I'd suggest 2 pairs of Ref 1's, a Ref 100 center, UFW-10 sub, and the Emo UL's as a starting point. The MSRP is $4800 and I know they could do a much better package price. Add in a DVD-3910, which they can give you a good price on too, or separate DVD and CD players and you'll be set.

This being said, Mike is correct that the 550 based systems are excellent and they have killer deals going on them right now. A very good and much cheaper option.

10. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Im sure I could get something working for less than 8Gs but to get pre/pro and sources that are worthy of a speaker like that will not be cheap. There's no point IMO to buy nice speakers and hook them up to a mass market receiver. I will check that out though. The 550s too, I love the way they look. I wish I could A/B the 550's with the Ascends. If I like the sound of both it would make more sense to me to go with the rockets just because they look amazing. Aesthetics are not a big concern for me but it could certainly tip the scales in a close race. Thanks!

11. Alex Prosak

At $1000 for the Emo UL pre/pro and power amp, I think you'll find an inexpensive way to really do justice to the Refs. The UL's are still in preorder status with delivery slated for a bit later this year so you'd still have time to save up a bit too. I'm still on the fence regarding replacing my Outlaw 950/7100 combo with the UL's. Beta versions of the UL's have appeared at several get togethers and received a lot of positive feedback. Their intent is to give the absolute best sound quality for the money with the knowledge that some features found on the typical HT receiver will not be available due to price constraints. The money goes into the sound and not the features.

Here's some more info on them as well as pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Order one of the Rockets and one of the Acends and see which you like better then send the one back you don't like and order the rest of that package deal from the one you do. As you know real wood looks and the way they are made put the look definantly to the Rockets.

13. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Looks nice, what DAC is it supposed to have? Also, the LPA-1 only does 6 channels. Technically it can do 7 but the its 5 x 125w and 2x50w. Wouldn't have made a lot more sense to do 7 x 125w? I just don't get it. I was planning on doing a 7.1 eventually and that amp would create some problems there. I suppose I could always add a 2 channel for the rears but then I would want to find something with a similar sonic signature to the LPA-1. The mps-1 is way out of my league. Maybe I could go with the LMC-1 and find a different amp. I do think the rockets are more in line with my budget. Please comment.

14. Alex Prosak

It is a bit odd on the power of the rear channels. One thing to consider though is that we typically don't use near that much power (50 Watts) when listening to our systems. They were initially trying to use a larger transformer but just couldn't get it to fit in the chassis and keep everything else in there they wanted. The amp is truly far more powerful than any receiver in anywhere near the price range, they just rated the amp honestly whereas many other big brand receivers skew ratings one way or another to get the same power over all channels driven. At the recent Colorado GTG, they used the UL to power a 7.1 system comprised of the RS1000/200 center/850 surrounds/550 surround backs and a pair of UFW-12's. With this system in a very large conference room, they hit 102 dB in the front row.
    http://forum.av123.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=173462

15. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I considered that but wouldn't that make it hard to calibrate the volume levels? Does the receiver have enough adjustment to get the proper volume all the way around?

16. Alex Prosak

It should be able to calibrate the levels just fine. Typical calibration levels are either 75 dB or 85 dB, the 550's and 250's efficiency is 88 dB at 1 meter for 1 watt; 200 center 91 dB and the 300 surrounds are 89 dB. Sure your spacing will be greater but so long as the room isn't too large you shouldn't have any problems with the amp pushing the speakers to painful levels.

17. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Alex,

What date is being given for the delivery of the Ultra-Lites?

18. Alex Prosak

They're not giving a date right now as they're awaiting concrete information from the factory. They areabout to begin a short, public beta run. If all goes well I would think they will be begin shipping to customers sometime around the end of October or November. This is just a WAG though.

19. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I started a thread on the Emotiva Ultra-Lite LMC-1 + LPA-1 at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=240866

Also, I wanst concerned about them reaching acceptable levels but more so that the adjustments on the pre would be able to account for the 75w/ch less power. That and I wonder what kind of effects it would have on dynamics. That said I don't imagine the rears being sent as strong of a signal as the other channels, especially the fronts. Thanks.