What's new

Onion infographic for Mar. 2 quotes famous line of movie dialogue (1 Viewer)

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Yeah, it's a paraphrase of the scene in The Abyss when Ed Harris tries to revive Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio after she drowns and starts slapping her. It's not the most famous line in cinema history, but it has been parodied on occasion.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I think the line in the graphic is correct. It's just part of a longer tirade Harris screams at her to get her to wake up. I think he screams "Fight, FIGHT, FIIIGGGHHHT!" and then starts bawling.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I still think that sequence (the drowning to the revival) is the finest single sequence Cameron has ever directed.

ALIENS, overall, is still his best movie, though.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I agree completely. It is too bad Cameron couldn't find a way to make the Lindsay/Bud storyline climax at the same time as the "NTI" storyline...once Bud and Lindsay find themselves again, the true plot of the movie is over, and everything else is terciary. Nothing in the film has the same emotional power as Bud fighting to revive Lindsay. The film hits an emotional climax it cannot top, not with all the giant waves ILM can muster.

The Abyss is a bit of a mess, with gaping holes in logic and flawed story construction, but damned if it isn't a glorious mess. The documentary on the LD and DVD detailing the torture of making the film is actually more entertaining than the movie itself. From where I sit, it's the best "making of" feature ever made for a modern motion picture.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Abyss definitely has its fair share of problems. It's one of the few times Cameron's ambition has actually gotten the better of him. He had some GREAT ideas in that flick, but juggling them was a little more taxing than it should have been. Still, even as a jumbled mess, I find it's better than both True Lies and probably even Titanic.

I do agree with you on that documentary, except I dont think it's THAT entertaining. It's a GREAT documentary, but I'd still rather watch the movie.

I haven't watched the theatrical version in a long time, though.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I'm a filmmaking junkie. That's my problem as a film commentator - most of the time, I'm watching the filmmaking, not the movie. It's like admiring the craftsmanship of a chair before actually sitting in it, hence, I have to watch a film a few times before I can come to grips with all sides of it. Every once in a while, a film comes along that completely transports me. Fellowship remains such a film to this day, and my nagging disappointment with Two Towers and Return of the King is that they simply don't suck me in the way Fellowship does. I find that I'm too often watching the spectacle instead of feeling it.

Same thing with animation. I never comment on an animated film anymore first time at bat, because the first time around I'm watching the animation. It takes a round two for me to focus more on the story. I can't help it.

Passion of the Christ is the first film since Fellowship in 2001 to make me forget I was watching a movie, and allow me to experience the story on first viewing. I almost never want to watch it again, because from here on out, I know I'm going to be watching Mel Gibson's work, instead of re-experiencing the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks