Ongoing Tarzan thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Dan Rudolph, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The show looks okay, but not great. I'll see if it picks up in the next few episodes. It does seem to be very much a WB show and that really isn't a good thing.

In fact, it heavily reminds me of Birds of Prey. Beyodn the somewhat similar-looking actors, you have the extremely overdone vigilante/cop team-up in an urban setting. Though the main character is the cop for once.

2. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I forced myself to sit through the whole thing, but I can't imagine being bored enough to watch another episode.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I was reminded of the 'Beauty & the Beast' TV series.

I'd like to say that it will be interesting to see how this series plays out, but I have the feeling that it is going to be another evening soap.

Glenn

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There's nothing wrong with being an evening soap, but the WB tends to get way too melodramatic with theirs, which is a danger I'm seeing here.

Also, I realize this is the WB and all, but would it have killed them for Tarzan to have some facial/body hair in the flashback? I doubt he was shaving in the jungle.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

The jungle has a waxing salon now. This is Tarzan, not Survivor.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I confess, I taped this and finally watched it. On the outset, I didn't find Jane all that attractive, but as the episode rolled along, and Tarzan sniffing around here, she got more attractive. Strange?

For the longest time, I thought Tarzan was going to be played by the guy who plays Smith (Sam's new boyfriend) on "Sex And The City" this season because he totally looks the part as well. The guy playing Tarzan (or his stunt double has been studying Jackie Chan's moves very well.

The rest of the show was okay, but it might get more interesting with Lucy Lawless onboard next episode. She's virtually unrecognizable with the shorter, lighter colored hair nowadays.

7. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've caught up with the past couple of Tarzan episode including last night. This is fast becoming a guilty pleasure type of show (much like One Tree Hill).

Tarzan's ape fighting technique cracks me up (it'd be a hit on the WWE).

They finally got rid of the dead weight known as Jane's boyfriend Mike so they can get on with the Tarzan/Jane dynamic with only emotional wreckage to sift through.

I like the casting of Mitch Pileggi and Lucy Lawless (it's almost hard to believe in another life she was Xena: Warrior Princess) as the brother/sister wrestling for control of John/Tarzan's 1/3 interest in Greystoke.

The actual police case for last night's episode was stretching plausibility, but I guess you have to believe that Tarzan can sift through all the smells of NYC and still track a child via a teddy bear. Of course, the parallel story of a child being lost to his parents is one that motivated Tarzan to help Jane (well, plus he's got the major hots for her).

How long they can play the cat-n-mouse game between the powerful siblings in their quest for the Greystoke fortune is anyone's guess. How long will it take Jane to get over Mike and open her heart is the other question.

9. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I thought that the teddy bear smell was a stretch too, but then I remembered - have you ever smelled some of those things - they're horrible!

Glenn

10. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I think Mike was a mistake to begin with. His behavior was barely plausible for anyone, much less a "good" cop. Now that they're rid of him, hopefully the show will improve.

And I love that Lucy Lawless. She's basically doign her Xena voice again, which is an odd, yet strangley appropriate choice for this role.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

10/26/03

I can't stop watching this show for some odd reason. While the plot development wasn't all that original (I knew who the bad guy was as soon as he appeared on-screen), I like the chemistry/animal attraction between Tarzan and Jane.

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I also knew who the bad guy was as soon as he turned up.

Tonight's episode was a huge improvement though. They did what I've been saying they should do and played up thaat John hasn't been properly socialized and is a little dangerous.

The whole abusive boyfriend/girlfriend in denial thing seemed a bit standard, but perhaps necessary for this episode.

13. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

It looks like there is no longer a need for this thread. I just saw in the newspaper that the show is going on hiatus - not a good sign

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

They are going to show the last 3 or so episodes and then thats it. They've stopped production.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This is like what the WB did with "Black Sash" last season. Bummer. I did like the chemistry between Tarzan and Jane, though.