What's new

Ongoing: Ron's Blu-Ray Discoveries Thread (renamed) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday, April 23, 2017

79877_front.jpg

For most of my life, I loathed westerns. Reason being, I just thought that the backdrop of the films were basically dirt, mountains, and saloons.

It really wasn't until DVD and Blu-ray came along that I took a new interest in these films. I have to give credit to many HTF members -- most notably Robert Crawford -- for steering me towards John Wayne features (which I own most of) as well as some of the best westerns ever made.

These days, you mention a new western Blu-ray release and I jump on it without thinking.

Ride The High Country is one of the most sensational westerns in my collection. Directed by Sam Peckinpah, the film is considered to be "one of the last of the great classic westerns." It brought together two iconic "B" movie stars, Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea who appear together for the very first time. Additionally, it introduced the very beautiful, Mariette Hartley who began her career here and since has become one of the most recognizable actresses today.

The commemorate between the two lead characters against the beautiful western mountain backdrop makes this film truly unforgettable.

The transfer, as you would expect from anything released by the Warner Archive is exceptional with well-detailed imagery. There is not one single bit of debris to be found anywhere on the print.

The film alone isn't the only thing worthy of a watch. The commentary by Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garnet Simmons and David Weddle is an amazing listening experience. Now, mind you, I never listen to commentaries. I just don't have the time. However, when I saw Nick Redman's name on the list of speakers, I felt as if I should give it a listen. Switching audio tracks throughout the movie I was quite amazed by the relaxed chatting style of these four gentlemen who have an uncanny knowledge Peckinpah, this film, and how it was made. It was fascinating to learn that the film was made in (I believe) 61 days on a limited budget. Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch took a little over 20 days more. If you listen to only one part of the film's commentary, do so during the infamous wedding party sequence. There were many revelations made about the use of blurs and close-ups as well as the speech given by Edgar Buchanan and how it relates to his own personal life. Really fascinating commentary.

Don't hesitate to pick up this title. It's one of the best westerns you will ever see.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm waiting on my copy to arrive after finally finding a purchasing price that fit my budget. I always loved this film, it's not quite The Wild Bunch to me, but it's an excellent western.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm waiting on my copy to arrive after finally finding a purchasing price that fit my budget. I always loved this film, it's not quite The Wild Bunch to me, but it's an excellent western.
Where did you order it from, Robert? The current price at Amazon is the only thing keeping me from buying this -- I already sold my SD-DVD copy in anticipation of getting the BD release.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Barnes and Noble, $17.82 each.

B&N is showing out of stock for the BD. :( You must have bought the last one, Robert. :lol: I checked Deep Discount DVD, but couldn't apply their 15% off three titles code to that and one of the other items I tried to buy there. So, I'll wait either for their codes to work on these titles or for Amazon to drop its price.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Just as a tip, Scott, Bullmoose www.bullmoose.com usually has all the Warner Archive releases for preorder and the first week of release at $15.97. I don't know about shipping as I usually purchase from their stores but it is another option for where you can get them at a decent price.

Also Import CDs has it at $16.79 at present...

http://www.importcds.com/ride-the-high-country/888574488048

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the tip, Reggie. Bullmoose did not have it for that price, but Import CDs had it and Seven Days in May for $16.79 each. I have not ordered from them before, but decided to give them a try. It's always nice to have choices for online purchases.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
To each his own, but they're a small company that uses a business model that works for them.
I am frequently thankful that Twilight Time exists and there are several movies that I know would never be available at all on Blu Ray, and not with the quality they provide, if not for them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday, May 28, 2017

YearOfTheComet_BD_HighRes__05009.1493673266.1280.1280.png

I am going to be a little all over the map with titles and dates over the next few posts as I have watched a few Blu-ray releases this weekend and I am kind of reviewing them out of order.

Year of the Comet was a blind watch. I would never have picked it up from Twilight Time, that is, until I heard a little excitement from the film's fans on this very forum.

It's kind of odd to say that sitting here hours after watching, I am finally soaking in this film with some good thoughts.

A few things I liked: The film centers itself around wine. I always have a fascination with stories about great bottles of wine. The film has beautiful Scottish locales. Though the story was a bit silly for me, I enjoyed looking at its leading lady, Penolope Ann Miller.

As I sit here hours later reflecting upon my viewing, I feel as if I watched a rather good film that perhaps I shouldn't be admitting I enjoyed. In fact, I am a little embarrassed right now that I might have actually enjoyed a "chick flick."

The transfer is fantastic -- something I have come to expect from the Twilight Time label. Outside of only a few minor instances of dirt or debris, there's not a single bad thing I can say about the presentation. Watching it on a 110" screen, I was very pleased with the level of detail within the film's many gorgeous outdoor locations. I have to again say, I was really awestruck by the locales used in this film.

Okay, so go ahead and call me what you want! I actually liked this film! Is it a blind purchase recommendation? Well, that depends how much some of you guys are in touch with your femine side. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sunday, July 30, 2017

91cdkBygd0L._SX522_.jpg

Another title that I bought blindly based upon the recommendations from the HTF membership.

Thanks to all of you!

This was an INCREDIBLE film. Terrific acting performances and a story that kept me captivated. This was far better than I thought it would be, and for that, I walked away smiling.

I would HIGHLY recommend this as a Criterion blind purchase.​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wednesday, October 4, 2017

184661_front.jpg

It has been some time since I have updated this thread. To be compeltely on the level, I have watched many films over the past few months but never was inspired to sit and write about any of those viewings.

This is one of those times I feel inspired.

I blindly purchased A Ghost Story knowing that it was something different. The film received critical acclaim from just about everyone. The general moviegoer, however, was probably less impressed.

A Ghost Story feels more experimental than something you would see churned out of the Hollywood cookie-cutter factory. For that very reason, I found that it resonated more with me than anything I have seen in recent memory.

A Ghost Story cleary advertises to its audience that "It's All About Time." That pretty much sums up how this story is told. It's actually told from the perspective of a guy beneath a sheet. A Ghost. It's a story of how one man's life is suddenly ended and how he returns as a ghost, with blackened cut-out eyes, who spends most of the movie staring at the life that continues in his absence. It's a test for its audience, who must endure long stretches of almost lifeless action that are meant to convey (and do so very effectively) a deep phsychological undertone that is often very haunting.

This is a thinking person's movie. It is meant for those who have patience and are willing to watch something truly mind blowing. Go into it with an open mind, and chances are, you will feel an extroadinary, chilling emotional impact that will haunt you long after the film has ended.

Be aware, before going into this film, is that it is presented in a 4:3 ratio. Once you watch this film, you won't need an explanation why this type of presentation was chosen.

What resonated most about this film for me is the fact that it pretty much solidifies my beliefs in ghosts and why they exist. These are entities who still have unfinished business in their prior life. Until that business is resolved, they walk among the living.

Absolutely one of the best films this year.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As I told Ron earlier, I was surprise he liked this film so much based on what I've heard about it. One day, I'll have to check it for myself.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wednesday, October 11, 2017

181023_front.jpg

For weeks leading up to the theatrical release of Baby Driver, there was nothing but positive anticipation towards its release. The first reviews from HTF members declared it the best movie of the year -- perhaps in a decade.

Hearing those kinds of accolades over and over again weeks leading up to the Blu-ray/4k release can ruin one's viewing experience when expectations are so high.

Baby Driver grabs you from the moment it begins and it never lets you go. It was for that reason Sony had no issue releasing the film's opening sequence for all to see on Facebook and YouTube. They knew once viewers were sucked in, they would need to see the rest.

Thankfully I avoided the free preview. I wanted to be able to watch this whole in one viewing. As I previously stated, this film grabs you from frame one and holds you, highly caffeinated, until the end credits.

While Baby Driver would absolutely succeed alone on its merits of being an entertaining, riveting action film it's the fact that it goes one step further that separates it from the rest of the pack. Imagine an action film expertly choreographed to a hip soundtrack. This isn't just music video stuff, kids....every piece of gunfire and explosion is perfectly synched to a beat of the music. At times, even the dialogue mirrors that of the song. It's one of the most amazing, ingenious things I have ever seen unfold before my eyes.

Two days later I am still thinking about this film. I bought the soundtrack. That's something I generally don't do. I just bought a copy on Amazon for my best friends and told them to clear their schedule for tomorrow night.

The best action movie in a decade? I could probably say it is. Realize, this opinion is based on the fact that this is more than just an action movie. It's a marriage of action and music, so perfectly executed with an excellent cast of actors that it begs an immediate repeat viewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks